Replacement Coils II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement Coils II

I posted this in "Part I," but I decided it probably should have it's own thread, rather than "piggy-backin'" on the other one.

I've just purchased my first bike, a 1981 GS 450L. Cost me $170 and all that it has wrong with it is a bad front brake master cylinder, broken ignition lock that works with a screwdriver, and one of the coils drops when hot.

Please forgive my ignorance, as my mechanical knowledge is fledgling (actually one of the reasons I bought the bike, so I can learn,) but what coil should I look for that would be applicable for my bike?

Thanks,
    Mike

does your 450 really have 2 coils? the one I used to have years ago was a single coil unit for both cylinders. ( i.e. 1 coil 2 wires)

Comment

Don, Queenie's 80 model 250 has two seperate coils, and as I am sure you know the 250 and 450 are very closely related.
      I would also think that any coil of applicable to a GS would be suitable to mikes 450.
      Dink

Comment

Well like I said, I don't really know. I haven't picked the bike up yet, I was only told that one coil drops when it gets hot. I just assumed that there were two.

This is my first foray into bike mechanics, so please be patient with me.
        Please understand that I'm looking for specifics here. What should I enter into a search in ebay so that I am assured that I'll get the right coils for my bike.

In fact, it looks now like the price has dropped to $150. Did I get ripped off?

Thanks!
        Mike

Comment

Replacement Coils II

Most of the points-type and transistor controlled ignitions (TCI) use a 3 ohm coil. Most often substituted coils are either Dyna or Accel (either single or dual output style). Another advantage of going to a replacement coil is that the ignition wires are now replaceable.

Comment

Yeah, but the first thread I was reading said that the coils from a Katana or Bandit or the like could be had on Ebay for about $30 or less. How do I know which ones will fit my bike?

Comment

Or, rather than have you guys wait on me hand and foot, is there someplace I could go to obtain this knowledge? I'd sure like to know since I'll be going to pick the bike up later this week and I'd like to at least have all the parts on the way,...

Comment

that?s the fun part about buying a bike. You have to figure out what it needs, what it has, and what you want to add to the bike. The reason that the katana was mentioned (at least I think) is that the two machines are very close in there build (katana to the GS1100).

One of the other things that hit me is that you haven't seen this bike, at least that is what I have read. I'm not saying that it is a bad thing, but you have to note that what someone telling you might be the problem is only just a guess. If I was having trouble with a bike that I was trying to sell I would not try to hard to figure out what the trouble is.

Just keep this in mind, when I bought my GS1100 (not but a month ago) the owner said that it was ride worthy. What it needed to be road worthy in my mind was some tire work, air filters, and brakes. (if the tire hadn't needed work I would have never know about the brakes.

Give your bike a good look over, figure out what you have, need, and then what you want. Even the best mechanic in the world would not diagnose a simple problem over the phone, he would just make an educated guess.

well, hope you love the ride, maybe our paths will cross some day.

Mark "Q" Tanner

Comment

oh yeah, buy an owners manual. they are worth their weight in gold.

Comment

Fair enough. I guess I'll check back with you guys when I actually pick up the bike and have some time to check it over.

Comment

Suzuki twins such as the GS400/425/450 range have two single output coils.

Suzuki 4s use two twin output coils

Katana coils wont work on a twin as both outputs on one coil fire together. Suzuki twins fire 180 degrees apart.

And a twin output coil with only one lead as you may assume to work will fry the coil pretty quickly, assuming you don't electrocute yourself first. 30,000 volts has a hell of a kick.

Comment

Someone just steered me toward a pair of coils from a 2001 Suzuki 650. Will these be adequate?

Comment

Not if they are twin output i.e. two plug leads

Unless ofcourse your 450 is a four cylinder engine

Comment

Working...
                          X