Engine polish and paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine polish and paint?

Hi everyone. I just found this site and joined right away. I own an '81 GS1000GL since I bought it in spring of '82 in Norman, Ok. and I can't imagine owning any other bike. I think this web site is great, and am looking forward to hearing all the stories, and learning more about this classic series of motorcycles!
    In any case, I'm preparing to tear down my '81 GS, and would like to strip the clearcoat from the engine covers, polish, and reapply the clearcoat. Can someone tell me what type of clearcoat to use that will stand up to the heat of the engine?

Also, I plan on blasting and repainting the head and block while the're off the engine. Is there a particular product number or paint number I can use that will keep it like the original? I've used aluminum paint on another project, but it looks really cheap.

Thanks for any help.

Welcome aboard tcash. Lot's of stuff to read here on the GS. Do a search in the technical forum on "clear coat" and the like and you should find plenty of threads talking about that as I recall seeing a few already. If not I am sure some of the guys who have done similar work will be piping up shortly.

Comment

Working...
    X