Very Good Spoke - Rim - Sprocket Cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very Good Spoke - Rim - Sprocket Cleaner

I know some of you probably already thought of this but I didn't see it posted and thought I would put it up here since it worked so wonderfully for me. I wanted to share it with those who haven't thought of it so they could benefit from it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was trying to clean off years of built up grease, chain lube, dirt and goo off of my rims/sprockets yesterday because I got them back from Paparo all trued up and new tire on the front. After many attempts of degreaser and simple green and car wash/dish detergent I had accomplished removing much crud but was still only smearing the chain/lube/goo/grease mixture around and was starting to get mad. I tried some WD-40 and it was getting it off but it would have taken a week.

So then I got to thinking, when we work on cars/bikes and our hands are all caked with the nastiest goo that will not come off with soap and water, what do we use? Mechanics hand cleaner! This stuff literally melts away any kind of grime you have on your hands. So I thought, hmmm.... why not try it on the rims? It works like a charm! Lube up your hands real good and get in there with your fingers and go. Turning the tire as you work your way around. It took minimal effort, moisturized my hands in the process and cleaned all that junk off like it was dust!

I wish I had a working digital camera here to show you guys a picture. They look almost like new!

Hey Hoomgar
    Thanks for the tip I am just getting ready to do that task myself and what a great idea. I will send a before and after photo to show everyone how well its going to work.
    Regards, Archie

Comment

Car mag wheel cleaner works ok too, at least on my alloy wheels which are a bit more effort to keep looking clean than the original chrome wheels

Comment

I am going to borrow a camera from work today so when I get home I can post some pics. Let me know how it works out for you Archie.

saaz, I have some "wheel cleaner" as well and I don't know about what brand you have but the stuff I was using was like trying to wash grease off with just water. This stuff on my sprocket area was like it was possesed!~ It would not come off! Usually Simple Green will get it then (I preffer not to use the Green to often as it is so harsh) but even the Green would not clean this stuff off! I was really getting mad for a bit :x that's when I thought of this. It worked so well for me I just had to share it. The thought was that instead of running out and spending money on yet another cleaner here is something that most of us already have and isn't harsh on your hands or the parts, yet melts away the crapolo like it was nothing!

Rock on!

Comment

Good idea!

I'd have to add: watch where that stuff goes. it'll clean the hell outa your paint too, if you know what I mean.

Dripped a little on my tank before I stripped it (Being stupid, cleaning hands and chatting while standing over the bike) and it pickled right up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Jedi
            Good idea!

I'd have to add: watch where that stuff goes. it'll clean the hell outa your paint too, if you know what I mean.

Dripped a little on my tank before I stripped it (Being stupid, cleaning hands and chatting while standing over the bike) and it pickled right up.
            I don't think this stuff will harm any surface Dark Jedi. Although I wouldn't let it soak on there but still it appears harmless. Plus it dries out. You can see a picture of it in my next post

Comment

As promissed guys here you go. Take a look at the before shot I posted first then the after ones from here at home after I cleaned them. The last picture is the cleaner I used. You can see some of what is in it.

Before cleaning, you can't really see the rear sprocket here but I assure you it is black!

After cleaning, scroll down for both pics:

Front rim:

The magic goop

I imagine mostly any good hand cleaner like GOJO or others will work as well but this was a real time saver and was so easy on my hands that I didn't even need to wear gloves. Remember to rinse well with water after you do this and I like to blow dry with the air compressor then dry towel it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                Good idea!

I don't think this stuff will harm any surface Dark Jedi. Although I wouldn't let it soak on there but still it appears harmless. Plus it dries out. You can see a picture of it in my next post
                I was using Go-Jo original. I suspect the newer orange based cleaners are a lot safer on paint.

Comment

Nice. So sprockets are supposed to be a kind of silvery color?

Comment

Nice. So sprockets are supposed to be a kind of silvery color?
                    LOL! Yeah It really looks good doesn't it? I was looking at these pictures again this morning and I cannot get over how clean it is now compared to what it was. Man they were nasty I swear. I am one of those guys that in the past would keep up with mechanical maintenance but not cleaning so my rear rim, spokes and sprockets were really really bad with years of build up on them.

I am really ready to go now with this project.

Comment

Hoomgar,
                      How much of the tub did you use?
                      All of it ?

I have new chain and sprockets going on this week.

Wonder how it'll do on painted rims?

I read where it took the paint off the tank.
                      Keith
                      -------------------------------------------
                      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by KGB
                        Hoomgar,
                        How much of the tub did you use?
                        All of it ?

I have new chain and sprockets going on this week.

Wonder how it'll do on painted rims?

I read where it took the paint off the tank.
                        Keith, this stuff would not harm paint. Not sure about other hand cleaners but the ones like this one that are made to be gental on your hands are the same on almost an surface except maybe paper?

I only used maybe 1/8 of the jar to do both rims.

Comment

Working...
                        X