Generation Next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generation Next

One year after I was born, my father bought a 1979 GS1000L brand new, from a local dealer in Seattle, WA. I put many miles on it from the back seat, riding all over with my dad, memories that I hope that I never lose. In 1997 I lost my father from alcoholism and my older brother swooped up the bike and took it to Oregon saying "I don't want you to kill yourself on it"

Six years later my dreams are possessed by my dads motorcycle, I needed to get a bike, any bike to fulfill my hunger for the open road. I started looking around the local shops for a good deal on a used bike, at this time my uncle got ahold of my brother and that night we drove to oregon, picked up the bike (which sat under a tarp under a tree for 6 years never even touched) and brought it home. The brakes are shot, the motor was seized, the pipes were full of water, the gas in the take cost 97 cents when it was purchased, needless to say, I was upset at the condition of the motorcycle, to me it was my fathers legacy and it should have been maintained.

Possessed I began to do my work, I pulled off the carbs (mistake for a novice like me) they had just been rebuilt and didn't have any gas in them yet when my dad died, I removed the spark plugs and poured Marvels Mystery Oil in the cylinders and let it sit for a couple of days. Later I removed the magneto? points cover and eased the crank around slowly working life back into the engine, I drained the gas and replaced the spark plugs, then bought a new battery and turned the key. I press the start button and after a few minutes it fired up. New tires, timing fresh oil, bearing lubes and elbow grease, this GS1000 is screaming down the road again making more memories, I hope I can pass it to my son and a old machine like this can mean half as much to him.

Nice story and glad to have you with us.

Mike

Comment

What a great story. The only thing it is missing is some reference to an MSF or other motorcycle safety class.

Welcome to the forum. You are in the right place, and I think you will add much to it.
      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
      80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Great story DannibusX, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. And congratulations on getting "that" bike and getting it running

There could not have been a better used bike to cure what ailed you

Comment

Ahhhhh. The GS1000. 8)
          It's been said, "riding one is like an audience with God".
          Yes it is. I've been riding mine for almost 25 years now.
          Nice story. I'm sure your Dad is still riding one.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I am riding it in it's present condition until next winter when I will completely dismantle it and restore it to its former glory. The bike still looks pretty ragged. Of course I will take some pictures before and after for all who wish to see. I bought a manual for the bike and I will probably be picking some of your brains for any advice when I get to that point.

dpep: I am going to take some motorcycle training classes as soon as I get some time, but bikes are in the blood, my dad raised me on dirtbikes and when I was 14 he started to teach me how to ride street, short excursions in the neighborhood, and I learned to ride on the GS1000. I went down for the first time when I was 19 because I got too cocky, but it wasn't all that bad. (Thank god for putting that ladies yard under me, otherwise I don't think I would have made out nearly as good as I did). But for now I will take it easy and not push my luck, besides I like the speed limit.

This site kicks tail! Happy riding all...

Comment

Working...
            X