Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil change tip. (Mostly cars, maybe some bikes).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil change tip. (Mostly cars, maybe some bikes).

I know some of you guys cringe waiting for those few seconds to pass before the oil pressure gauge shows pressure. I was given a tip years ago you may not be aware of. Before installing the new oil filter, fill it up first as much as you can. Pour some in, watch it drop and pour some more in...Most cars will allow you to fill it up at least 3/4 without spilling as you replace it. On my Blazer and T-Bird, the gauge shows pressure in literally 1 second. Much quicker.
    I don't know how much this really matters, but it's simple to do.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

I'd pull the plugs (and check em while they were out), hit the starter for five seconds. The starter will easily turn over the engine and not draw fuel with no compression.

Pump is primed and circulating oil

Put the plugs back and yer alllll set.

Comment

Keith, that's good advice for sure. Most filters have that written right on the box under installation instructions. I know Fram filters do.

Comment

On Honda bikes I have owned, hitting the starter with the kill switch in the 'off' position would turn the motor over without firing, which I always thought was a neat trick to circulating oil prior to firing it up.

Comment

Jezz, my bike takes 20-30 seconds of cranking anyway before it fires.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I can back up FastEddie, If I havent ridden my CBR for a while I'll put the kill switch to off and hit the starter and let it cycle until my oil pressure light goes off, then hit run and start it.

Comment

that would be known as "priming" the filter. i work at a lube shop, and for the big diesel trucks, we put in about 1L of oil in, and its probably a good idea for cars, although we dont really do it .

Comment

We're running Chevy small blocks in all our cages, so I always do it. I also put on longer filter. I can always find a longer one that the "required" one that has the same gasket, threads, holes, and even the same stampings on the surface. Longer filter, more filter medium, right?
                Kevin
                E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Oil filter trick

On my car the filter is a vertical installation and little if no oil will spill out, but on my bike the filter goes in horizontally. I would suspect that I would get oil all over the floor if I tried to install it full of oil.

MP

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut
                    We're running Chevy small blocks in all our cages, so I always do it. I also put on longer filter. I can always find a longer one that the "required" one that has the same gasket, threads, holes, and even the same stampings on the surface. Longer filter, more filter medium, right?

yeah, there are usually 2 different filters for each car. different clearances. but you have to be careful, or, youll blow your engine 8O

Comment

With todays oil technology it really dosn't matter.I have over 210,000 on my gmc truck 108.000 on my dodge durango and over 50.000 on my bike with no internal engine repair on any one of them.I have seen a ford mustang driven over a mile with no oil and then oil added and the engine torn down after 10000 more miles and no damages was found other than the normal wear and tear for a vehicle with the amount of mileage this one had which was about 68000

Comment

Well, if some people like the idea of filling the filter first, it's their choice. Just thought I'd mention it.
                        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Don't get me wrong keith I wasn't diputing your idea just giving some of my experiences and expertise.Heck I see guys still trying to do tuneups on vehicles with 30000 miles that have 60000 plus platnum plugs. some times it's just overkill.

Comment

Working...
                          X