Ring compressors to install the block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ring compressors to install the block

The first time I put the block together on my gs1100 1166 kit it took 4 screwdrivers, 2 people and an hour of our time. I tried car ring compressors, but they are too wide. Then I decided to try making ring compressors. I took 3" pvc and cut it 1" tall. I then cut them in half. I used the two halves and hose clamps to compress the rings. I put assembly lube on the inside of the pvc. I lined up the pistons, and then just pushed the block down over the them. I put a wrench on the crank to make sure it didn't turn. This made the job so much easier. I posted a pic of the setup here. Just thought I would pass it along in case anyone has the job ahead of them. http://www.rccracing.com/rebuild4.jpg

How do like the quick access clutch cover? Is it worth the effort?

Comment

I would say if your adjusting the clutch alot it's worth it. With the lockup clutch the only drag pipe that would fit was the star pro pipe. Now I can run the vance and hines standard pipe or whatever I want. To pull the old cover I had to remove the megaphone each and every time. Now I just remove the clutch cable and eight bolts. It just seems easier and faster to make spring changes with the cover.

It does seem to seep a little bit of oil from the bottom 2 bolts on the center cover. I would think it a waste on a street bike.

Comment

I've used extra large zip ties before with good results.

Comment

I've watched my boss is the hose clamps and 1" wide emory cloth turned backwards so it doesn't scratch the pistons. He used to put together industrial engines and hydraulic cylinders like this. Sometimes you can put the seals on the rams backwards but that's another topic altogether.

Steve

Comment

Working...
          X