Tighten your speedo and tach cables every few months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tighten your speedo and tach cables every few months

A few days ago I noticed that my tach cable had undid itself and slipped out. Anyway, I've been burning the candle from both ends all week so I just grabbed the thing and tried to keep it from hitting anything as I had no time whatsoever to deal with it. I go to fix it today and see that the end of the inner cable has now broken off. It only took about 20 km to kill it. So, tighten them up with a pair of channel locks once in a while. That's what I had been doing...

Cheers, Steve

My tach cable works loose at the head and needs retightening every few weeks. Seems the outer rotates slightly as the steering moves lock to lock.

Something to watch for sure.

Comment

I had the same issue so I used a little light grip thread locker on it. It never came loose again and when I tore the bike apart last year to rebuild it it came right off with little effort despite the thread locker. Just use a mild one not the tuff stuff.

Rock on!

Comment

Turns out that there never was an end on the cable. It was a little frazzled so I cut off the extra wires but RPM indication is a little wobbly before 4k, I suspect cutting the wires off is going to cause the whole shebang to unravle within a week or two... Blue loctite is my choice, it's easy to break but resists vibration.

Steve

Comment

Snapped off before I got a block away from my house... Time for a new part Betty!

Comment

you might be able to just pull the cable out of its housing and go find a new one from canadian tire or something. can do that for speedo cables anyway. lot cheaper then new from the dealer

Comment

If the sheeth was in better shape I would. I tried to pull it out last night to oil and and there was no way it would come out. A new one shouldn't cost more than 25CDN and will be much more flexible.

Steve

Comment

Working...
              X