Paint Stipper word of warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint Stipper word of warning

Started rebuilding my GSX750es. Stripped tank using paint stripper great, got it right down to metal. Same with plastic front mudgaurd, all going great. Now the word of warning never ever use paint stripper on anything fibreglass, brought paint of great and also the fine gel that gives fibre glass its smooth coat . But there is a cure I used Hibuild grey primer its a mix between filler and primer, but god does it take some sanding be warned

Bikertek, you got lucky with your plastic mudguard. Generally you don't want paint stripper anywhere near plastic, If it doesn't melt it, it will swell the plastic and because plastic is porous it will get in those pores. Then once you paint over the plastic the trapped solvents and chemicals try to come out causing your paint job to blister and peel. The safest way to strip plastic is to either use a plastic safe media blaster (read expensive) or sand it by hand.
    Doze.

Comment

Yer think for plastic and such i'll just use good ol wet n dry and lots of elbow grease, thanks again :?

Comment

I did a nice strip of my plastic with water, a high-grit flapper wheel, and a drill.

Electricity is far better than elbow grease for the large areas. Save your grease for the corners and seams....

Comment

Yer got tired elbow so went out and bought hand held flat bed sander a lot easier :P

Comment

Working...
          X