Plastic welding with a soldering iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plastic welding with a soldering iron

I heard that it was possible to do your own plastic welding with a soldering iron and it turns out it's true! I went out and bought a 50 Cent ABS pipe fitting for donor material and fixed a cracked side cover. The first thing I did was burn troughs into the side cover along the cracks so I'd have a place to fill it and then I wiped the grooves over with extra ABS. This was using a 60 W soldering iron.

Steve

wow 8O thanks Steve

Comment

Be careful. VERY careful.
      Some plastics emit highly toxic gases when you melt them, and when I say toxic I mean really bad.
      I have done repairs with a soldering iron on plastic parts, but soon stopped when it was explained just how dangerous it can be.
      Many plastics emit cyanide gas when melted - you do NOT want to breathe that in!
      Trouble is, unless you're a plastic expert or know the exact sort/grade of plastic, you don't know if it is toxic or not. Until it's too late.

Comment

plastic vapour

It isn't a bad idea to do it outside, if you can. Those melted plastic fumes are nasty!

Mike

Comment

I learned to use a soldering iron to plastic welding on computer repairs. Works very well.

Comment

Working...
          X