Checking leins on Ontario bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking leins on Ontario bikes

So, you're looking at a hot bike but the owner doesn't have the Used Vehicle package. If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket and a line of buyers behind you call MTO at 1-800-465-4949 with the vehicle serial number to see if there's a lein on it. Then check with police to see if it's stolen if you're unsure about that too...

I'm not sure if this is only supposed to be used by people buying the bike for export from the province or not but that's why they gave it to my friend. Other provinces don't care about the package so you just call the number above.

Steve

Lein on bike (or lean on bike?)

Good advice Steve!

In Quebec, you can check with the RPDRM for lein on vehicules:

Phone:
    (514) 864-4949* (Montr?al and vicinity)
    (418) 646-4949* (Qu?bec and vicinity)
    1 800 465-4949* (toll-free)
    Fax: (514) 864-4867

* Choose the 1st option to reach the RDPRM
    customer service.

Vincat

Comment

Good info.
      I once bought a 1972 Suzuki T350 from some ad in the Buy & Sell for $200.00. Everything looked fine, the original owner was deceased, but the seller had the ownership papers. However, when I went to get the bike certified, the mechanic discovered that the frame number did not match the number on the ownership paper (it was off by one digit)! Bah!
      I wasn't about to try to get my money back as that was unlikely. I looked up the original owners widow, a nice elderly lady, but she claimed to know nothing about her husband's bikes.
      Untimately, I had to physically take the bike to a Suzuki dealer so they could write down the serial # & a letter on their letterhead verifying that I was in possession of the bike, then I took the serial # to a police station where they confirmed the vehicle was not on the stolen vehicle database. After this, MTO actually printed up a whole new ownership record for me.
      Interesting but frustrating experience.
      For all I know, the original owner died, the seller stole his bikes & documents without his widow's knowledge, & I became the perfectly legal owner of a bike I could never quite get working right!

Comment

You can also get a title but going to a lawyer and getting an affidavit ($50)

Comment

Working...
        X