Backwards L model forks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backwards L model forks?

Has anyone ever tried turning around the L model forks , so that the leading axle is behind... so that you have more trail and more stability? I'm putting a 16' GS1150 wheel on my '81 GS1100E, and it was suggested that this might increase stability and compensate for lowering. Any ideas? Thanks much.

Austin

It could be very dangerous.

Comment

Thanks for the warning, I'll definitely be careful. I'm wondering, though, if anyone else has any ideas about this, or if anyone has ever tried it. Let me know. Thanks.

Austin

Comment

It will screw up the handling of the bike, do to the caster that will give the front wheel. Not sure what will happen, or how drastic the effect would be, but if you do it, take it slow and figure out what it does.

Comment

Between the 16 and the geometry change it is going to steer considerably quicker. Whether you go too far with it is hard to say. If the fork tubes are able to be raised and lowered in the triple clamps it might be worth trying. Just be careful until you see if it handles without anything too quirky going on.

Comment

I wouldn't even try it. I am putting my 79 1000L back together and wasn't paying attention. I accidently put the whole front end back together with the forks on backwards. I went to install the brake calipers and neither of them fit. No matter what combination I tried there was no way they were going to fit. Just a little experience I had.

-Tom

Comment

Re: Backwards L model forks?

Originally posted by austinfd
              Has anyone ever tried turning around the L model forks , so that the leading axle is behind... so that you have more trail and more stability? I'm putting a 16' GS1150 wheel on my '81 GS1100E, and it was suggested that this might increase stability and compensate for lowering. Any ideas? Thanks much.

Austin
              I'm not too sure that this is a good idea. Besides affecting how the bike straightens itself out after a turn, you might be setting yourself up for a nasty oscillation at speed, which could cause the dreaded and dangerous 'tank-slapper,' or speed-shimmy. Anyway, this isn't going to do much to the height of the bike, and that's why you said you wanted it to do in the first place. This could also adversely affect brake performance (although unlikely), because if you can even get the brakes on at all, how they sit on the bike is going to be very different. The brake lines might also end up someplace screwy. The more I think about this, the worse an idea it seems to be. It's your bike though, please do let us know how it plays out.

Comment

Thank you all for your advice, and moreso for your concern. I assure you all that I will be very careful in my testing of the new steering geometry. If anyone knows how to calculate the steering geometry mathematically then please let me know. In the absence of that, I plan on cautiously trying out this new configuration. I have managed to fit the forks, wheel, and calipers adequately, and am just waiting on a straight front axle; IF ANYONE HAS AN 1150 FRONT AXLE IN GOOD CONDITION, OR KNOWS WHERE TO GET ONE CHEAP, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I will test my new front end out under various conditions regarding speed, accelertation, turning, and braking. I will definitely make a report back as to how it handles. I am excited, and will post as soon as I take it for a ride (if I make it back... . Thanks, again, for the input, and please offer more if you like. Take care.

Austin

Comment

http://www.tonyfoale.com/Articles/RakeEx/RakeEx.htm That might help you a little....

http://www.tonyfoale.com/Articles/index.htm And for all of his articles.
                  You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                  If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                  1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                  1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                  1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                  1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                  1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Working...
                  X