Replacement H-4 headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement H-4 headlight

I purchased a replacement h-4 headlight kit for my 1980 GS850 and installed it today. Just got back from riding it and am very pleased. It is much brighter and whiter than my old headlight. It fit perfectly and now I can carry an extra bulb in case mine goes out.

I got the idea from other on this board. Thanks so much. I recommend this product to anyone. It was less than $25.00 including shipping. Money well spent.

Congrats. Glad it worked. My 450 has an odd sized lens, so the upgrade kit wouldn't work for me. Had to buy a whole new headlight. Still, a good deal for the upgrade. Way bright! 8O 8O

Michael

Comment

Where do you get them any web sites?
      Ian

Comment

Any auto store.
        I buy/bought mine at Wal-Mart.
        I bought the twin pack, always carry a spare $17 USD
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

thanks
          Ian

Comment

Best mod I've made to my 77gs550 yet. No more sealed headlight and I keep an extra halogen bulb on the bike. I made the mod after I came out to my bike about an hour away from home and discovered I had no headlight. It was almost midnight and I had to shadow a big rig on the freeway just so I could see. Never again! :-({|=

Comment

Sylvania Silverstar!
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I was going to ask if anyone had tried the Sylvania Silverstar bulb and what they thought. It looks like Joe thinks highly of them?

Comment

I do too! Joe turned me on to the Silverstar and the difference between it and the halogen that comes with the H-4 is just as dramatic as going from the sealed beam to the H-4 in the first place -- It rocks!

One suggestion, though. I noticed that both of the H-4 lenses I have became hazy on the INSIDE over time (they're not sealed, after all). If you take a moist paper towel and ball it up over a chopstick (or equivalent), it does a nice job of taking off the haze and restoring the brilliance you started out with when it was new. Needless to say you want to be ultra careful not to let anything touch the bulb while it's out of the lens...

Enjoy,
                  Steve 8)

Comment

Pardon my ignorance but if you buy from an auto store the headlamp is usually focused symetrically for either LHD or RHD to direct the beam away from incoming traficc.. You can notice this by the direction angles cast into the glass. I am pretty sure that genuine motorcycle headlamps are straight focused.

Regards Simon

Comment

Simon,

I'm not sure about right or left handed headlights. Besides, the Sylvania Silverstar we're referring to here is just a replacement bulb. I've never seen any indicators of left or right on them either.

Joe
                      IBA# 24077
                      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

They do not have indicators as such, and I doubt if your market is LHD that you would have choices of RHD headlamps. But the car lamps them selves have veins in the glass to refract to the respective amrket where true bike lights are focused straight ahead.. but the car lamps are much cheaper.. The premier lamp over here is a marchion or something similar in name..

Regards Simon

Comment

Silverstar

I'm planning on getting one also, I could take the old bulb out but I figured I'd ask here first. What's the pin onfiguration on the back of the origonal bulb, does it come straight back, bent back at a 90? angle or is that taken care of with the H4 designation???....Mike

Comment

Re: Silverstar

Originally posted by mikemilburn
                            I'm planning on getting one also, I could take the old bulb out but I figured I'd ask here first. What's the pin onfiguration on the back of the origonal bulb, does it come straight back, bent back at a 90? angle or is that taken care of with the H4 designation???....Mike
                            Far as I know, it will be straight back. It should be the same as the H4. Mine was.
                            I bought mine at Canadian Tire for about $25. In Canada, the designation for the motorcycle bulb is 9003 ST. I phoned Sylvainia when I couldn't find the H4 ST bulb and nobody knew anything about the H4 ST.

SYLVANIA is the leading automotive lighting supplier, providing high performance lighting products. Use our bulb replacement guide to find the right bulb that fits your vehicle.

Comment

thanks

I thought I read somewhere the 9003 was the same as an H4 so I asked at Crappy Tire and was told 'no, they're not even close, dumb a##es, I should have known better, thanks.....Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X