Clean out your air box drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clean out your air box drain

During a 400 km ride yesterday it became apparent that my air box had been collecting oil and water for some time. After being stuck in traffic in 30C weather for 45 minutes my bike boiled enough water out of its oil to break loose some of the blockage. So yesterday whenever I parked I was leaving puddles of water as water is heavier that oil. Well, during a 160+ km/hr sprint down some rough roads my bike started to bog out as all the junk in my air box was getting tossed around. When I pulled in for gas I cut the bottom 2 inches of the drain off and over a cup of oil drained out! I can't imagine what I'd look like if the oil had gotten out on its own while traveling at close to 180 km/hr over roads with broken up pavement and corners with gravel on them.

Steve

Very good point. When was the list time you looked in your airbox?

I know I haven't looked in a long time. Just clean the filter and put it back without thinking about it.

Comment

You can't see into my 400s airbox. It has a mesh screen in it behind the air filter so you can't see a thing.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

Ahh. I can look in to mine, but it takes an effort, awkward angle.

We learn more about other models every day.

Comment

I became so frustrated with my airbox I took it off. You could'nt service the battery without removing it, which ment taking off the fuel tank too. The 1100EZ has a front box attached to the carbs which I left in place. The filter box, behind that, is attached with a 2.5"dia. rubber duct with clamps on either end. I chucked the box and the duct. Found a single K&N auto filter and hose clamped it on the front box. Works perfect !

Comment

you didn't need to rejet???

Comment

I am intending to do the same mod to my Katana, it is running a little rich so I think in my case it will balance out.
              BTW the part number for the K&N fitler is SU-0820.
              Dink

Comment

Rejet ? Yes, im sure i would have had to. The front air box has a 2.5" hole which goes to the rear filter air box. That one has a hole in it no bigger than a quarter. When I put the single K&N on I wrapped it with a 1/4" thick neopreme pad. I ended up leaving very little open. It took a few times to get it right. Once I did It made all the power and more. Im not ready to put a pipe on this old bike, but some day maybe then ill play with the jets. Dink, If thats the right part # ok. If you dont want to play the re jet game get the right dia. filter as short as you can. You may still have to restrict it some.

Comment

The filter i used was a universal pn RD-0700. Then i covered most of it with foam. Look for it at www.knfilters.com.

Comment

Plugged hose

I looked at the hose on the 1100 yesterday, and discovered a foam plug in the hose. I expect that if this is not cleaned, oil dripping into it would prevent water from escaping, eventually. I cleaned the plug & returned it to it's rightful place.

SV

Comment

So that's what I threw out. I cut it off in my haste not to hold up the ride. I better order another one if it was a filter, I didn't think the bike would be set up to suck air in through its drain.

Steve

Comment

My hose auto-cleaned thoroughly with gasoline back when I first bought the bike! Darn petcock!

Comment

Working...
                        X