God I love spring in CO!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

God I love spring in CO!!

well, I finally got to do an overnight camping trip off my bike!! I was going up the Cache La Poudre canyon with some friends to go kayaking, and since there were so many people going, but not an extra seat for me friday night, I stuffed my boat in a buddy's truck and packed my pack for the road. I used an old climbing pack and strapped it on the luggage rack and passenger's seat real good, stuffed the leather ski gloves in the saddle bags just in case (boy was I glad about that later!) and some brews, and off I went!

I've been riding now for almost nine months (time for the real test soon!) but always just around town or to work, etc. this marks the first overnighter, and it was camping to boot!!! the bike felt great with a little extra weight, but I'd probably need to stiffen the rear for a long trip with the girlie, but 40 lbs (if that) of pack was fine!

the trip up started late, and I drove the canyon in the dark (another first, usually I run home before it's late!!) trying to lighten up on the deathgrip I'd find myself in from cold. I rode so slowly up that canyon that I had to let three people pass me!! but riding alongside a twenty foot drop in to a raging class III-V+ whitewater river, at night, with deer, in a canyon, and did I mention I was cold???

next day, once the coffee kicked over the hangover, I rode down to find my buddy with my boat and have some more fun!! for good or bad, I didn't find him for quite some time, but that just meant I got to ride up and down the canyon a few times , by the time I left, I was really starting to feel good!! nice speed and lean in the curves (so far I've approached things from the slow side and am working up carefully) so it was nice to find a comfortable medium that felt so sweet round the bends. finally did find him and did my run in the water, then got back on and headed home!!

final tripmeter was 225 miles, my longest yet! my back was stiff, and my neck got sore, but on the way home I boosted the pack forward and had a nice lumbar support!! (although the bike has alot more "bounce" from the back, I could really feel some vibrations in the pack that I don't get just sitting on just one plane of the bike, maybe I'm on the pivot point between front and back and just can't feel it)

well, anyway, just wanted to share the love, the canyon's a nice place to ride, and I'll get the hang of this two lane highway eventually...!!!

The main reason for me loving spring in colorado is because it gets JB and simon off this website and out onto thier bikes.

Comment

Good story for the mind

Thx man.

Comment

Aspirin, Tylenol, Advil, etc,..... Dual purpose items that, as Ryan and the other "nuts" have shown me, are good for sore necks/backs. As well as the common barley headache. Keep a bottle in your gear somewhere.

Brad tt

Comment

Snowbeard, that Cache La Poudre Canyon is a great motorcycling road. Until early last July, I had only rode the lower parts of the canyon as the round trip from Boulder means you have to get up very early to do more on a day trip. However, last year my son and I (with my wife on the back of my GS) rode our bikes back from Steamboat Springs to Boulder via Walden and the Cache La Poudre. What a ride! Almost no traffic the whole way, and the canyon provides miles of great twisties.

We are really very fortunate in Colorado to have some great biking roads with low traffic densities. Roll on the good weather!

BB

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
            The main reason for me loving spring in colorado is because it gets JB and simon off this website and out onto thier bikes.
            I am deeply wounded...sniff...sniff.

BB

Comment

Yeah cause then you have more bandwidth to run your mouth. He He He Better be careful. While right now Im over 1200 miles away I wont be for long.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay B
                Yeah cause then you have more bandwidth to run your mouth. He He He Better be careful. While right now Im over 1200 miles away I wont be for long.
                This could get interesting

Comment

Another challange. eh??? :twisted: :x :? 8)

You wouldnt hit a weak old man would you JB??? 8O 8O

Insulting simon is always a priority

Comment

Hey if you got the moxy to push a GS off of you, get up and then pick the GS up out of your driveway you ain't know weak ole man. Besides I wouldnt really have to hit you. Your so short I could step on ya instead!

Comment

Hey if you got the moxy to push a GS off of you, get up and then pick the GS up out of your driveway you ain't know weak ole man. Besides I wouldnt really have to hit you. Your so short I could step on ya instead!
                      JB
                      With your training, you must know the value of close proximity to the knee caps and other items
                      I meant toes 8O

Comment

Yes I do and I also know how to protect my own!

Comment

What have I done to you (lately)? :? I have ALWAYS treated you with the reverence deserved by the crankiest, crabbiest, old cuss on this hallowed site! :roll:

Yours in perplexed astonishment,

BB

Comment

Originally posted by Bolder Biker

What have I done to you (lately)? :? I have ALWAYS treated you with the reverence deserved by the crankiest, crabbiest, old cuss on this hallowed site! :roll:

Yours in perplexed astonishment,

BB
                            I thought that was Groucho Marts aka Wally Mart aka Nick The Deer Slayer

Comment

Originally posted by wrench
                              I thought that was Groucho Marts aka Wally Mart aka Nick The Deer Slayer
                              John, I stand corrected. Dom is the weaseliest, slyest, most shameless, superannuated skirt-chaser on this site...........sometimes it's just so hard to keep things straight.

BB

Comment

Working...
                              X