Here is something i just rqan across

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is something i just rqan across

I wonder if it works as well as the writer claimes it does???

Super tank Cleaning

Fill the tank 1/4 full with course sand and tape off the cap and petcock hole. Wrap it in a couple a blankets and stick it in the dryer(no heat) for an hour or two. Inside will shine!
    If this is good it would be a master solution to many of our forum members.

comments please

In theory it sounds good, but I have several concerns.

First, one should be absolutely sure they have a GOOD tape job sealing the holes or you'll wreck the dryer with sand. My suggestion would be to double bag the tank in heavy garbage bags just in case ... keep in mind, if the sand leaks the paint will be trashed.

Second, the petcock would have to come off, so new gasket material would more than likely be necessary during reassembly -- minor issue.

Third, in order to protect the tank from being dented you'd have to wrap it very well, and that minimizes how much "tumble" you'll get in the dryer. Also, dryers have a way of unwrapping anything you can wrap, so I'd be very concerned about trashing the tank.

Last, getting every last grain of sand out would be a nightmare ... but then, if the tank needs that kind of cleaning I guess it wouldn't matter much...

...my two cents. I'd be very interested in hearing what somebody who has tried this has to say, but I don't plan on risking my tank or my brand new dryer.

Steve 8)

Comment

wanna buy some swamp land in Arkansas?

Sounds like a body man's dream.
      How many dents can you put in your tank?

You know the blankets will come loose and bang the sides of the tank to smithereens.

Or some nitwit will still have fuel in it and use heat.....BOOM!

I guess you'd have to lay it in there lenght wise, not sideways huh?

Doesn't sound like a good odea to me, the eternaly optimistic pessimist
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

comments please
        Dear Mr. Scotty,

This is really not being very good idea. After having been reading your above Tip, I was having tried this with fuel tank from bothers motorbike.

Having been sitting in parts, in boxes in the garage of our house, many of the parts are beginning to obtain rust.

So, I was thinking why not to be trying this method to be cleaning the innards of the rusting (and slightly dented) tank.

I am believing mother is going to be having a "Fit of Schitts" (sp?) when she is needing to be using dryer again.

The dryer is being very much full of sand now, and during the rotation of its cycles, is also making a much grinding noise.

Perhaps maybe your directions should have been in the stating that one must also cover the hole for the fuel meter mechanism. This may have been helping in the prevention of my predicament.

I am hoping mother will not be making me pay for the buying of new dryer now, if she is insisting, then I will have to be using some of the saved, "new" currency which I have been receiving from Mr. Frank 8O 8O

Comment

I just read where someone did the same thing on an electric BBQ skewer.
          Bet it was the same guy.
          Seriously it definitly has a lot of draw backs. Ill bet that the problems could be worked out if one had a good supply of foam pillows or some other media to eliminate thr bouncing.
          I am just thinking that perhaps someone can get with a system that will do a nice job.

BODY MANS DREAM

That was good and totally self explanatory.

I wonder if we stuffed Gnat with sand and put him in a dryer for a couple of hours??? Heat on and no cushioning 8O 8O

Comment

I wonder if we stuffed Gnat with sand and put him in a dryer for a couple of hours??? Heat on and no cushioning
            Ha Ha, that is not being very funny, and is not being very succesfull in the putting of you in good standing with me. Be keeping up such remarks, and I will be stuffing you with pasta and rolling you down the driveway! 8O 8O 8O

Comment

Originally posted by GNAHT-2
              This is really not being very good idea. After having been reading your above Tip, I was having tried this with fuel tank from bothers motorbike.
              Oh no ](*,) , it wasn't the tank from the Enfield was it?

Comment

I think if you duct tape a garbage bag around the tank and then wrapped the tank really tight with a blanket and duct tape it.It should be fine.

Comment

If it's that important, just make a jig to hold it.

I have a small 1/4hp 1400rpm motor mounted on the workbench with a belt wheel attached. it drives my wood lathe, normally. I am constantly making something or another to mount in front of that motor, and this would be cake.

Make a jig to hold a cross rod, with enough room for the tank. A couple of Y rods will work great. Mount tank on cross rod. I would use nylon straps. Attach a big belt wheel to the cross rod, to slow the rotation. use a soft clamp or a pair of bearings and a hard clamp for the cross rod to keep it in place.

Fill with sand, tape up, yadda yadda. String belt and turn on motor. Go work on whatever needed your attention so badly.

Comment

Dark Jedi- I might just try that. I picked up an 82650gl with a serious case of tank rust and I have a motor in my garage that is just sitting. If I ever getting around to doing it, I'll let everyone know how it works....

Drew

Comment

I got to thinking, and to protect the tank, cut a bicycle tube so you can slide ot over the rod attatched to the tank. No scuffing and a better grip to boot.

Every well equipped garage has a few bike tubes lying around, don't they? Or am I odd in finding these some of the most useful things there are?

Comment

This seems like it could be a really good idea. I was thinking that it might be a good idea to prepare the sand some how so that the there aren't any really small particles, i.e., dust. I'm not sure how it could be done, but it might be easier to clean the sand out if only larger sand particles were used. There might even be sand of specific grit sizes available, such as that used with sand blasting equipment, that would work well in this application. It seems though, that sand particles could get wedged in tight places, like near seams, in the tank, only to come out after the tank is put to use. It might be a good idea to add an inline filter to any tank that had been cleaned in this manner.

Comment

Blankets or not, I can only imagine that the tank with the added weight of the sand yet on top of it's own weight would be riddled with dents after such an experiment.

I find that using a good fuel filter and not worrying at all about the inside of the tank has served me well over the years

Comment

HEY HERES A CLEVER IDEA........ buy a new one.

1 word.......................EBAY!

-My two cents

Comment

Originally posted by MaineZuki
                              HEY HERES A CLEVER IDEA........ buy a new one.

1 word.......................EBAY!

-My two cents
                              And then worry about how to get the rust out of that one....

Comment

Working...
                              X