The death of a GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The death of a GS

This tragity happened on May 4 2004. I was riding my 1978 GS1000 home from college. I decided to take a long way home for a chance to do alittle high speed freeway riding. The particular section of 4 lane I was running has a few cross roads interceting it, I bet there isn't a single person out there who can't see what coming. An 84 year old man didn't see me and tried to cross the highway. I did everything I could, but I just ran out of space. I ended up hitting his rear fender and went over his trunk at 60 mph. I was lucky and only got a broken ankle out of the deal, but my cycle wasn't quite so lucky. The only things that survived unscathed were the seat and side covers. I will be rebuilding however. I have a line or two on new parts to put my 78 back together. I hope to be back on the road before fall, got to give the ankle time to heal first.

The old man crossing the road is why I get paranoid when I see driveways and uncontrolled street intersections.

Murphy's law and all that :?

Comment

Sorry to hear it Jato. I hope your ankle heals correctly and hope the best for you getting the GS back to life.

Comment

#$)#)@@_($*(@%&!~_)!!

Comment

Glad to hear you did'nt get hurt worse. Hope the ankle heals fast.
          Too bad about the bike (I'm partial to 1000's.) Good luck with the rebuild and let us know if you need help.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

If anyone has a frame the'd be willing to sell I'd apreciate it. I think any frame from a 1978-1979 1000, 1000E, or 1000S will. If you have any leads, please let me know.

Comment

Glad you made it with minimal damage. I hope the ankle heals quickly.

Mike

Comment

I'm surprised I fount this old thread. That was me, I'm fully recovered and so is my GS. It took three years instead of the 4 months I was originally hoping for, but bike and rider are back together.

The pics from the crash disappeared over the years but imagine the forks twisted so the bars are straight and the front wheel is perpendicular to the bike and the front wheel touching the front of the engine and you have the general idea.

Here she is now, this pic was taken this past Christmas eve, the best Christmas present ever.

Comment

Great Ending to That Story!:-D
                  sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                  2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Glad to have you back. I saw your tank pics in another thread. Now I'm putting the pieces together (no pun intended).

Can we assume you will try to keep that JATO (Jet Assisted Take Off) under control?

Comment

Nice job. Watch that patch of snow behind you though......

Comment

Jato- your story brought a real smile to my face,welcome home.

Comment

Thats Awesome that you and the bike are ok. Ya just can't beat those wire wheels, very nice.

Comment

Happy endings are always good !!

Comment

Bikes can be rebuilt, the body is the important thing. Glad to see both turned out great! Cool bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X