Get your bike safetied at Canadian Tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get your bike safetied at Canadian Tire

They have nothing to gain by telling you there's something wrong with your bike. It's the perfect situation and everybody I've asked about it say they got through easily.

Steve

You're kinda sneaky there Steve, taking advantage of the lesser informed inspectors

Comment

I dont need to get no stinkin safety. you have to do yearly safety inspections in ontario? here in bc you dont have to do safety inspections unless your a comercial vehicle over a certain weight or you drive a beater and the cops give you an order to inspect *L*

Comment

It's not really sneaky. I ended up safetying my bike at a bike dealer today since CT doesn't have a guy to do the inspection after regular business hours. I got caught for a sidestand switch but the mechanic was nice enough to pass me after I got a reciept for ordering a new switch.

In Ontario you have to get the bike inspected before getting plates unless it's brand new. Actually, you may need to safety heavy trucks when new since I worked at a shop where they kept getting new trucks that weren't safe.

Steve

Comment

Heavy trucks need to have an inspection every year, it's Ontario law... and an emmissions test or no plate sticker

Comment

I would not let a Canadian Tire mechanic work on my lawnmower never mind my bike or car.

Don't get me wrong, as a store CT's is the best! Service shop.........NEVER!

Dr. Dre

Comment

Originally posted by motorcyclemodeller
              I would not let a Canadian Tire mechanic work on my lawnmower never mind my bike or car.

Dr. Dre

Interesting comment, that.

A week ago I visited a CT store and got a new pair of Michelins installed on the front of my car.

When the job was completed, the report that came back with the work order said my wheel bearings need to be repacked.

Being ever curious, I asked about it, and the mechanic was called in. He assured me that both wheels had been checked, and the bearings are worn and needed re-packing, as soon as possible.

I told him his diagnosis was puzzling, since the bearings on this model are pressed into the hub, are not removable, and cannot be repacked; the entire hub, with integral bearing, has to be replaced with a brand new unit if there is a problem.

Despite his continuing professional protest, I told him I was very sure of that, since that is exactly what was done in April, 2004...one month ago.
              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

sounds typical of their work right across Canada, but it's still okay to let them LOOK at the bike. The bike dealer I took my bike into was in awe that the 1100 only needed a sidestand switch to return it to complete functionality. He said old bikes like 81s usually need a ton of work.

Steve

Comment

CT.. what can i say, well some years ago on Deb's car a brake line failed, CT was the closest to us, we got the estimate from them $500.00 8O

Took the car to another mechanic he replaced every brake line on the car for $100.00

Comment

Originally posted by motorcyclemodeller

Dr. Dre
                    My friend call them "quasi-mechanics."
                    Kevin
                    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

At CT, the mechanics get a commission for parts sold. Enough said.
                      I stay away from the service shop. I like the store though. There's nothing like it down here in the States. I generally stop in at CT every other weekend to look around when I am up in Toronto.

Comment

C.T. = CRAPPY TIRE

Comment

do they safety in quebec too?

Comment

I have never safetied a bike at a bike shop

I always used a car garage. I would also never take a car to CTC but a bike would be ok. The bike dealers just see dollar signs if you bring in an old bike to safety. A car mechanic just wants quick cash for the check. He has nothing to sell you and unless a problem is blatant he will pass it easily.

Comment

Ahh the bashing of good ole crappy tire.

Here's my story (well actually a friends), we went in to have some work done on an old Chevy sprint, replacing some hoses etc. Well they said it would take 2 hours, then after waiting for 2 hours they said it would take a little longer, so I took my buddy home.

Returned the next day, and it was ready, he went out to start her up, and after some weird noises, decided to look under the hood -- the mechanic hadn't installed any of the new hoses, he removed all the old ones, but left the new ones on a heap ontop of the engine block.

So we went in to yell at the service department manager, who sheepfully said he'd have it fixed. Well the mechanic tore one of the new hoses and then the service manager insisted my buddy pay for the replacement of the 'new' hose my buddy had already paid for just the day before.

Well. Long story short. My friend is 6'2" 300lbs (mostly muscle), and after some quite convincing conversation, left with his sprint in fine working condition on the grounds that he never return to that Canadian Tire, ever (a bargain if I've ever heard one)

Satch

Comment

Working...
                              X