Over heating and thoughts on intake manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over heating and thoughts on intake manifold

Well it was hot in Cincinnati the other day. I'm not complaining mind you just stating a fact. I got caught in traffic about 4 blocks from the house and the ol monster started to get hot. It's been a LOOOONNNGGGG time since I owned an air cooled motorcycle and this is the first summer on this one. It started to make noise and complain. I was just about ready to get to the side and turn it off when the traffic started to move.
    One of my students suggested I put a high velocity computer fan on the oil cooler with a toggle switch. Hmmmmm, think I might try that.

Check out this thread bro.
    It's a good idea and I plan on doing it.
    See my post here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...hlight=#169851

Comment

I was thinking about doing the same.. Couple thin 12v fans behind the oil cooler. Thing is, I don't think that would help my heads a whole lot while sitting in traffic. What I'd like is a fan to blow on the head heatsinks, but I can't think of any way to mount something up that would not look completely lame.

Comment

If the fans are mounted to pull air through the cooler then they will also blow air across the head to some degree. A large case fan or two is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by condensr
          I was thinking about doing the same.. Couple thin 12v fans behind the oil cooler. Thing is, I don't think that would help my heads a whole lot while sitting in traffic. What I'd like is a fan to blow on the head heatsinks, but I can't think of any way to mount something up that would not look completely lame.
          See my post right above you buddy. That issue is already resolved in my post from the thread referenced above

I think it is a good idea!

Comment

I think I have a 12 v case fan in a box on my workbench. Any advice on where I should connect it if I set it up to run off the ignition? I was going to try to mount it behind I'm sure I have enough room. I was also thinking about fabrication some sort of hood or scoop that would pull air in from the side so I'm away from the exhaust. Oh, and I've been toying with having on of our CAD students draw me a mock up of an intake for the bike that would mount the air filter to the right of the motor and forward of the rider like the BMW sport bikes have. That might be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Hobbit
              I think I have a 12 v case fan in a box on my workbench. Any advice on where I should connect it if I set it up to run off the ignition? I was going to try to mount it behind I'm sure I have enough room. I was also thinking about fabrication some sort of hood or scoop that would pull air in from the side so I'm away from the exhaust. Oh, and I've been toying with having on of our CAD students draw me a mock up of an intake for the bike that would mount the air filter to the right of the motor and forward of the rider like the BMW sport bikes have. That might be interesting.
              I wouldn't think that a case fan would move enough air thus my suggestion of using one thats made for a motorcycle.
              And I stated removing the shroud because my thinking was that although that my help channel the air the application here is limited and most of the time you want the bike to get as close to normal as possible air flow and having the shroud there could get in the way.

Just thoughts. No mater how you do it if you set something up that moves air over the fins when sitting still and it does not interfere with normal air flow while moving it has to help I would think.

That's why I am seriously going to try to do this. You'll also notice I mention about making it in a quick release fashion because there are going to be times you know you wont need it and so there is no need to have it on the bike then

I really like this idea.

Rock on!

Comment

I love my water cooled bike. I can sit in traffic and not worry about a thing. We have to watch my wifes Yammie though. Not water cooled like her Shadow was.

Comment

Working...
                X