Dropped like a Ton of bricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropped like a Ton of bricks

Something very interesting happend today. It all started with a beautiful morning, perfect time to go for a ride. Its was about 60 degrees outside, not a cloud in the sky. Im new to this area, so I thought I would go on a little adventure around town. Its quite rural around here so lots of nice trails. Im riding along, getting lost becuase finding your way is the best way to discover oneself. Im casually riding along the road at a nice pace, 30-40 mph. I come upon what I thought at the time was a little dip in the road. *Uh oh here we go!* Well this little dip was no little dip at all as I quickly found out. Standing at the bottom of the 'dip' it probably raised 3 feet from bottom to top. By this time it was a little too late to do anything but HOLD ON and keep the bike straight. Being fairly new to the motorcycle world I really wasn't too sure what to expect, except that I was going airborne; and airborne is where I went. I remember 2 things. The motorcycle dropping from beneath me and hitting the road 15 feet ahead of me, 2 feet off the ground falling like a Ton of bricks, I came roaring down. Made it out ok and kept the bike in good order. Bottomed out the forks but absolutely no damage to the bike. There was a little short term damage to my jewles but nothing time wont heal

Lesson for the day. If you cant see 100% of the road in front of you.....Slow down!!!

Hurts just hearing about it.

Comment

So this was a dirt road / trail?

Comment

I hope this isn't one of the roads we'll be on next week in Maine

heck of a frost heave huh?
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Glad you are ok. i did a wreck this week too and your advise is good. You would think that after riding for over 40 years i would have known that a slowing cage meant sure trouble. well glad we both walked away
          I will now also look more carefully at road conditions.

Comment

Re: Dropped like a Ton of bricks

Originally posted by MaineZuki
            Lesson for the day. If you cant see 100% of the road in front of you.....Slow down!!!
            Glad you're okay!!

Comment

Originally posted by KGB
              I hope this isn't one of the roads we'll be on next week in Maine

heck of a frost heave huh?
              Thanks guys, actually it was more fun than scary once I found out that the bike was ok.......made sure I checked Suzi before me, everything was cool.

KGB, a word of advice.....dont follow Luke on the ride... you'll see why on saturday

Comment

So glad you and your ride are OK Matt. Would have sucked to mess it up before the Maine ride or get hurt at all.

Walk gingerly my friend

Comment

Glad you're OK! That advice is golden, and I can't help but think it might have saved Brad (Bradley Maynar) yesterday on his way home from my house. I don't know the details, but I do know that he was unfamiliar with the route between our homes ... probably didn't know about the road a car suddenly pulled out from as he was doing 50 - 60 mph...

Thankfully his most serious injuries appear to be multiple joint bruises, but it sure could've been disasterous! He hasn't seen his bike, but thinks it's probably totalled. Of course, bikes can be rebuilt or replaced!

Thanks for the safety reminder!!

Steve 8)

Comment

Glad you're ok.

I think I learned a number of my lessons in a similar manner.

The good news is that those are the lessons I don't have any trouble remembering.

Mike

Comment

KGB, a word of advice.....dont follow Luke on the ride... you'll see why on saturday
                      What are you trying to say? I'll probably be on better behavior on the ride, at least for most of it. I missed this thread till just now, so I didn't ask you yesterday, but where the hell were you?

Comment

You know what I mean Luke
                        I was 10 minutes from home on farm roads (paved) somewhere. Who knows? I certainly didnt

Comment

You know what I mean Luke
                          I was 10 minutes from home on farm roads (paved) somewhere. Who knows? I certainly didnt
                          So what your saying is old hot dog Luke went and blew you away and never considered that he left you behind lost not knowing where you were?

Tisk tisk Luke [-X

Comment

I waited, quite patiently I might add. :twisted:

Comment

sounds like fun!! glad you made it! 8O

Comment

Working...
                              X