starter solonoid sub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter solonoid sub

My solonoid became intermittent, what a pain. It was heat or vibration sensitive and very hard to prove bad. I finally caught it in the act and priced a new one...... As usual... mega-bucks.... I beat the parts guy by using a solonoid from a craftsman lawn tractor. It cost 20 bucks.
    It has been in the bike now for almost one year. So try to think outside the box!!!!

Just went out tonite to LOWE'S and picked one up for 12.00 bucks and it works great

Comment

great!

I love to ride but I hate to pay the REDICULOUS prices for parts!!!!

Comment

Re: great!

Originally posted by vapourman
        I love to ride but I hate to pay the REDICULOUS prices for parts!!!!
        I was just thumbing through a magazine for VWs, and couldn't BELIEVE how cheap the parts were! 8O
        Kevin
        E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
        "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
        Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

does it matter which one you buy....do you guys have a part #??? thanks... Jim

Comment

I'm using one for a old Ford From auto zone

Comment

so any 12V will do...cool...I think I have an ol ford one around.
              Thanks sandspur

Comment

size matters

I picked my solonoid by size and shape for my 1150. It has to fit without rubbing or vibrating on the side panel or other fuse panel parts. I have had one from a craftsman tractor installed for a year now and no problem

Comment

I needed a starter solenoid and i went to canadian tire and bought one most likely for a car they showed me two i picked the one i thaught would mount the easiest.....no problems a solenoid is a solenoid and 12 volts is 12 volts

Comment

I just cut the center part off the top of the soleniod, clean the contacts and then mounted it up side down turning it into a push button switch. As for the Ford soleniod that's my clutch release soleniod for my delay box.

I think that qualifies for thinking outside the box 8O
                    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

buy a small block ford solinoid it worsk AWSOME i can button start a 14-1 GS motor with one battery with it (barely though)...but it works awsome with 24 volt starting applications.....and i put one on a stock GS 1100 motored bike and it helped it out dont know why but maybe the stock solinoid was bad...i think they were like either $8 or $12 dollars at western auto. worht the money for sure and alot cheaper than a new solinoid from suzuki...richie

Comment

yeah. at the suggestion of another GSR member, i picked up a briggs&stratton 12V solenoid at LOWES for $12. It fit perfectly, but i had to yank the wires off the old one and tape the ground to the bottom. kind of a cob-job, but whatever! works!

Comment

Well, I dropped a whole $11 into replacing the starter solenoid on my 78 GS750. It's for a 1978 Ford V8 and the mounting holes lined up EXACTLY!

Relay from Autozone $8
                          8 GA. stranded wire from Lowe's $1
                          (2) 8 GA. battery terminals from Interstate Battery $2

-Jon
                          16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
                          13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
                          78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
                          Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
                          02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
                          12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                          82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Suzuki Starter Solenoids

The starter solenoid recently went out in my 1980 GS450E. The local junkyard has about 10-20 of these sitting around. The guy charged me $15 for a used one in great shape.

He might be willing to pull them off and ship. I think the bolt patterns are standard, regardless of engine size of bike model.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

-Dave

Comment

Working...
                            X