Improve night visability from the side for $20US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improve night visability from the side for $20US

I was fiddling with something for my son's bicycle, when I decided to try it on the Suzi.

Flashing valve cover caps. His were some $4.99 Wal-Mart things. I popped them on the bike and had a neighbor ride it by so I could see it.

Wow! The side visability is humoungus! The entire wheel is a flashing ring as the bike goes by. Very noticeable.

So I ordered the nice metal cased ones from J.C.Whitney for $20 and mounted them.

Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

Interesting.

I do have one thought though.

If they are flashing, could they not also be a distraction to a driver, and possably make them, momentarilly forget to do something such as brake?

Just a thought as I have noticed these new busses that have that white strobe on top, have (at least to me) distracted me from paying attention to what I should be (the road in front of me) to figure out what the flashing was.

However I have seen cars with these on, and well, always just discounted them as a gimmick to get these people who are into custom cars to spend their money on.

Maybe it will help, maybe it won't. Just my .02 worth.

Amos

Comment

Batteries are going to get expensive for them too. The size and weight of them will also throw tire balance off. Rubber stems may even bend from centrifugal force.

Comment

The size and weight of them will also throw tire balance off.
        Bingo. How is looks is a personal preference. I don't care for them personally, but the tires will be out of balance. If you just ride around the block it shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

I think it will be a big distraction. They put these on the hooters of girls at topless bars and the guys can do nothing but stare while they spill their beer. You don't want to come out someday and find guys standing around fondling your cam covers. But it could work out if they started stuffing bills into your seat strap ??? hmmm

Good or bad idea, hard to decide

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
            I think it will be a big distraction. They put these on the hooters of girls at topless bars and the guys can do nothing but stare while they spill their beer. You don't want to come out someday and find guys standing around fondling your cam covers. But it could work out if they started stuffing bills into your seat strap ??? hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar

But cam covers?

Comment

heres the real question: how do the police feel about this mod? They are illegal on cars where I live, but I have no idea bout bikes.

Comment

Not that I have any personal preference, but assuming that centrifigul force is a non-issue (metal stems), why not just rebalance the wheel with them on? It's no big deal to make or buy a wheel balancer that will do an effective job ... or just have someone else do it.

My vote is for safety and visibility over whatever the law says -- assuming of course you actually like them on your ride.

Steve 8)

Comment

Hmm. I haven't had any balance problems with them yet.

the batteries are watch batteries, and mine have been going for about 4 months now without dimming. (They are flashing LED's, very low power draw)

Metal stem, so no centrifugal (NitPick: Actually inertial, there is no such thing as 'centrifugal force..) problems for me.

I'd rather BE the distraction to a driver with the attention span of a ferret, than in front of them when they are distracted by something else.

Comment

The flashing valve stem caps remind me of another wheel treatment that was popular a few years ago - does anyone else remember the reflective wheel stripes they used to sell? They came in a variety of colors and glowed like neon when car lights hit them. I remember they used to advertise in CYCLE WORLD some time ago. Of course now I can't find ads for them in any of the old bike mags I own so maybe they weren't that popular after all? They do make reflective paints and striping tapes so I bet you could duplicate this treatment today. Plus it seems like paint or decals would be less likely to throw off your wheel balance....

Jim

Comment

Jumping Jiggawatts!!! Are you kidding me Jim!?
                        That's about an ounce of extra weight per wheel!!!
                        Catastrophe!

J/K

Dm of mD

Comment

I'm SURE they would be illegal here! The Government is so anal about "excessive lighting" it's silly. :roll:
                          Kevin
                          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

How about something a bit more "low-maintenance"? Scotchlite tape could be attached in a radial fashion to a few discrete places on the rim/mag. That stuff lights up like a christmas tree when any amount of light hits it.

Search for it on the web. I hit a place where you can get a 1" x 27'" strip for $5.00. http://www.nytro.com/run-reflective.html

LEDs have several beneficial uses, but why all the hassle?

-jon
                            16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
                            13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
                            78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
                            Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
                            02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
                            12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                            82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Dunno. I guess I didn't see replacing a valve cap as a hassle. Most of the things I do to the bike are quite a bit more complicated.

Comment

Working...
                              X