Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dropping the front height??

Hello people
    I'm new to the forum but you'll get to know me soon enough..
    ok i want to drop the height of the front end down like 2 to 3 inches....
    any advice?????
    sorry have 1984 gs750es

thanks

Just raise the fork tubes up in the triples. Get the bike on it's centerstand, get the wheel off the ground by propping up the engine, and loosen all the bolts on the front end including the axle. Pull the rubber caps of the handlebar risers and raise the tubes up in the triple clamp. Tighten the pinch bolts on the triple just enough to keep them in the position you want. Then starting with the axle and working your way up tighten everything up according to specs. Don't go the full two inches at one time. Start with an inch and ride it to see how it handles. Three inches is going to be too much more than likely. The steering is going to be quicker than with the tubes in the stock position. With the 16" front wheel it's already pretty quick.

Comment

Will raising the tubes that much cause the wheel to touch the headers/frame?

Also why such a radical change?
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

KGB brings up a good point. Raising the tubes more than about 1 1/2" will end up causing the fender to hit the bottom of the triple clamp when all the suspension travel is used up. Better take some measurements. You have close to 6" of travel in the front suspension. When you get the front end up see how much distance you have between the bottom of the triple and the top of the fork lowers.

Comment

thanks guys
          i wanted too cause it looks really good when you have a full fairing, looks mean but maybe i'll take advice and move it slowly..
          thanks

Comment

but maybe i'll take advice and move it slowly..
            That is an excellent idea. Normally, you change front ride height in 1/4" increments (or less), and it is generally easy to feel the change from each 1/4". I would never change it more than about 1/2" at a time or you may get a rude surprise when you go for a ride.

As a reference, on my 97 ZX-9, a 2mm 8O ride height change on the back was VERY noticeable. That is about 0.080" for the non-metricated ones out there. Take it easy and sneak up on it and you should have no problems. 8)

Mark

Comment

Good advice from Mark. Even race prepped bikes with top riders won't drop the tubes more than about 1" to quicken the steering and help stability. Go slow.

Comment

if his front end has the air assist how will he be able to move the air tubes through the top tree

Comment

Another good point. The only way to do it is make a decision once and for all not to run air and epoxy the holes. That would involve setting up preload and preferably going with Progressive suspension springs.

Comment

If you epoxy those holes, you can go back to air if you want to. Also, be sure and line those old air holes up against solid metal in the triple clamps, otherwise you risk the possibility of the epoxy being blown out when your forks compress.

You can lower your front by "slugging" the fork tubes. You take the tubes apart and put a hollow piece of pipe in between the lower and upper fork halfs. Make it as long as you want to lower your bike...Schnitz Racing used to sell lowering blocks for the GS...You will get a stiffer ride, your front wont "drop out" as much , which is good for drag racing, your stock springs will be harder to install, some folks cut them, I didnt. Naturally, your front end travel will be diminished...

you can do a combo of the 2, which if you dont like it, you can go back to stock at any time....Be careful!
                    EULC ON

Comment

Working...
                    X