rusty banjo bolts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rusty banjo bolts...

i purchased banjo bolts/fittings from dennis kirk about a year ago for my gs. also purchased the steel lines. i've noticed all the banjo bolts have rusted! this bike has never sat outside. none of my other bikes has had this problem but i've got the stock bolts on them. also noticed the clutch cable adjustor is rusted too. that came from DK too....anyone else had this problem?

rust

you should have waxed them before installing, chrome is not rust proof, and does requirer maintence

Comment

Banjo bolts should not rust. None of my standard ones ever have, and they have never had any special treatment.

Comment

Leak

I think, at some point, they've been exposed to brake fluid. I once picked up a brand new car that had blistered paint on the hood...because it had been on a transport truck that had a car on top of it that leaked some brake fluid. That stuff is really nasty and will ruin almost anything in very short order. Fortunately, the car belonged to my former company so I didn't get too excited but I certainly learned how caustic that stuff is.. :roll:
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Nice eh? Russel brake lines with half a season on them. I always dump a pail of water on my bike after doing brake work so it isn't from the fluid. The plastic coating is cracking on me too.

I think the rust is caused by INCO, Sudbury's biggest polluter. I don't know what's up with the plastic coating. INCO has to pay for a lot of paint jobs here because the stuff they are poisoning us with hurts cars. When you buy a house here the deed says you can't sue INCO for damages to the house or property.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett2
            I think the rust is caused by INCO, Sudbury's biggest polluter. I don't know what's up with the plastic coating. INCO has to pay for a lot of paint jobs here because the stuff they are poisoning us with hurts cars. When you buy a house here the deed says you can't sue INCO for damages to the house or property.
            That looks awful. What can that stuff be doing to your lungs?
            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
            80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Oh man...I saw a GSXR with the same Russel lines I have. Avoid these things at all costs! The fittings were all rusty and were delaminating in big flakes of metal. If you can picture an old brake drum that's falling apart you can picture what you're fancy new Russell lines will look like in 5 years.

Steve

Comment

thats exactly what my lines look like.

Comment

Wow, I tried to find someone who could supply me with a set of Russell lines for my '78 1000E. I'm glad that I didn't find them and got H.E.L. instead, they still look like new a year later.
                  "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                  GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                  1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                  1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                  1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostgs1
                    Wow, I tried to find someone who could supply me with a set of Russell lines for my '78 1000E. I'm glad that I didn't find them and got H.E.L. instead, they still look like new a year later.
                    Can you please provide me with contact/purchase info on those lines if they are stainless steel.

Comment

Working...
                    X