Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust in tank

Hi!

I have got a little bit of rust in the tank of my GS550E '82. Anyone knows how to get it out?

Thanks,

Michael

take tank off put in some nuts and bolts and shake the hell out of it.it worked fo me

Comment

Another way is to take the take off, drain all of the fuel out, and fill with a 50/50 mix of white vinager an water let set for about 24 hrs drain and rinse with water then alcohol or something that will take the moisture out and dry rapidly. Then fill with gas and keep full. Or if you want to take the time and make a permenant fix get the POR-15 kit here http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=306 This take about a week to do it properly.

Comment

Thanks!

Hi!

Thanks for the prompt reply Now I'm a bit closer to get my bike started :-)

Comment

Vinegar

I, too used the vinegar trick. I used full strength vinegar -- the large containers for pickling cost little more than a smaller volume. I let it sit a few days, and dumped it in the sink -- no worries about environmental discharges, and then put some CLR and strips of disposable towel in the tank, then swished it around to finish removing the last of the rust. It too went down the drain. I then fished the cloth out, and rinsed with methyl hydrate.

I found this process inexpensive, safe, and the chemicals were easy to dispose of in a safe and responsible manner, and did no damage to the various tank components.

SV

Comment

Here's another idea......

Read the whole thread.....

Keith
            -------------------------------------------
            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

After reading those threads, I have to wonder about a possible solution.

What if you took mixed media, or walnut shells used for cleaning gun shell casings, and took your tank filled it about 3/4 with the media and strapped it to the top of a shell tumbler (this solution only would work if you reload your own bullets).

My problem with tank rust is the fact that I have pinhole leaks in the tank from it sitting for 8 years.

Comment

I've had real good luck with Kreem (tm) tank liner.

It's a three part deal and it takes a few days but for the pinholes it works great.
                It's about $25 @ your local shop........

Rico

Comment

Rust in Tank

I just went thru this project. I had that very fine power rust which plugs up carbs. I did the following:
                  1. Took the tank off, drained the gas out, removed all the parts (petcock, sending unit and cap) and pressure washed the inside at the local do it yourself car wash. This got all the residual gas out and a bit of the rust.

2. After letting the tank dry as much as possible- I set it out in the sun for a few hours- I then covered all the openings up with duct tape and put a quart of MEK (Methyl Ethyl Keytone) with a package of BB's into the tank. I then swished this around for the better part of an hour periodically dumping out the MEK , filtering it and then putting it back in and continuing the process until the MEK came out clean. I then put in some fresh for a final rinse. The BB's did a good job of cleaning up the rust and they came out easily using my magnet pickup tool.

3. I then used a product called Red Koat which goes for about $17/qt to recoat the inside of the tank.

4. I know that the MEK is not the most enviromentally freindly stuff but I did work well. It cleans and will adsorb all the residual water that was left in the tank. However you MUST follow all the safety precautions- this is nasty stuff. I have kept all the used liquid for later use; I am told it can be used as a substitute for Acetone.

Good Luck

Comment

Hi all!

Thanks for all the nice advice. I will now try to figure out what works the best, s? that I can get started riding my GS 8)

Comment

Working...
                    X