Taking off locking fuel cap- Damaged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking off locking fuel cap- Damaged

Anybody have a tip or a trick for taking the locking fuel cap off?
    Somebody tried to break in to it and left a pretty big hole.
    Of course the key won't work in it anymore.

What about a locksmith? I'd bet it would take some secialized tools to get past the damage and unlock the cap. I hope the person that messed it up burns on a hot rock in h*ll :x

Comment

I don't know if this would work, but what about trying to drill out the lock core.

I remove one before, but I don't recall how I did it. I am not real familiar yet with these bikes since I haven't picked mine up yet.

How does the cap work? Does it flip up or screw on? I am wondering if there is a little tab on the underside that you may be able the press with a screwdriver.

Comment

It doesn't flip up or screw on. When the key is turned it releases these latches. That is about the best I can explain it. The latches won't go back inside unless the key is turned so I can't push them with a screw driver.
        The lock already has a big hole and still doesn't come out. I think I am just going to have to twist it really hard or something. Don't really want to drill into it. The tank is pretty empty.

Comment

get a screwdriver and an hammer, drive the screwdriver in and then turn it to remove the cap/
          Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
            get a screwdriver and an hammer, drive the screwdriver in and then turn it to remove the cap/
            Dink

Yup.

Favourite trick of thieves for many years.

If the lock proves really stubborn, use a square-shanked screwdriver and a small wrench for extra torque....or the ever-worthy vice grips.

Since the lock is already broken, just do it and get another.
            "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
            Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

locking fuel cap

Yep that is what happened but the thiefs were unable to get it open.
              I was thinking of a snap-on screw driver last night. I guess many manufactuer make them with the square shanks now but not always.
              Snap-on was he first one I used.

Thanks

Comment

I'd be careful about using a hammer to drive a screwdriver in if I were you ... with a mostly empty fuel tank it wouldn't take much to blow yourself up ... Let a pro deal with it -- whatever it costs is less than the hospital bills or funeral costs.

Steve 8)

Comment

Locking fuel cap

Your not kidding. The vapors will get you every time. I think I am going to try getting the biggest screw driver with a shank and go that way.

Comment

I had to do the same thing on my last bike and it took forever. By the time I go it open I had completely busted the guts out of the lock and could get to the latch on the bottom.

Comment

Working...
                    X