smoked on the first run!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smoked on the first run!!!

ok, so I've never thought I was a dragster, but this morning it worked out just the way things sometimes do, pulled up beside a custom jobber, harley or harley look-a-like, at a red light, both of us in the front of our lines. he revved a couple times, which sounds good, so I didn't rev, especially as something lately has a god awful rattle... when the light changed we both hit it, but of course, he knew how to blow out of a light, whereas I managed to bog it down on the start. even tho I felt like I was keeping pace once I got thru that, he may have just been letting me stay in the rearview...

anyway, that was fun, now I think I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for 'im, cause I know I can take 'im!! :roll:

any good suggestions for the quick start?? only other time I tried it was just for fun on my own, and I missed more gears than I ever have I even found some way to get it into neutral between third and fourth 8O 8O 8O (which can't be good for my baby...)

Power shifting (not using the clutch) can help a lot, but it takes a little practice to get it right.

Brad tt

Comment

Yea, power shifting and be firm on the lever when lifting.

Never look back always concentrate on ahead of you.

And laugh
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Rev it up and engage the the clutch smoothly and quickly to get off the line. You have to practice this manuever because it takes more RPM than you think to not bog down the engine. Just think of it this way, He has as much or more displacement in one cylinder than your whole bike. It's quite an accomplishment to hang with a bike that has that much advantage.....

Comment

A 650 should be able to take A full sized Harley but if you don't practice the runs from a stop then you shouldn't drag and expect to win.
          Now i want to take exception to this shifting without the clutch when drag racing. I believe it should only done if you have a kill button and have much experience using it. My idea of torque multiplication comes in the form of revving to the shift point and never let go of the throttle while ((rapidly)) pulling the clutch and changing gears.
          IF I MISSED SOMETHING AS I NORMALLY DO, SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS POWER SHIFTING WITHOUT USING THE CLUTCH. Thanks
          I will never be too old to learn a new way to win a race.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
            A 650 should be able to take A full sized Harley but if you don't practice the runs from a stop then you shouldn't drag and expect to win.
            Now i want to take exception to this shifting without the clutch when drag racing. I believe it should only done if you have a kill button and have much experience using it. My idea of torque multiplication comes in the form of revving to the shift point and never let go of the throttle while ((rapidly)) pulling the clutch and changing gears.
            IF I MISSED SOMETHING AS I NORMALLY DO, SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS POWER SHIFTING WITHOUT USING THE CLUTCH. Thanks
            I do it all the time Dom, always have. I had a dirt bike that didn't even have a clutch cable at one point. LOL! Stupid kids... I still seldom use the clutch but have been trying to retrain myself to have better habits. It can be bad on your shifting forks if you do it wrong.

Comment

In theroy my 550 should be able to at least match a harley. the 883 sportster only has 54 horsepower. The GS550 is supposed to have 53. And with a higher redline I can stay in first gear longer.
              You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
              If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
              1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
              1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
              1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
              1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
              1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro
                In theroy my 550 should be able to at least match a harley. the 883 sportster only has 54 horsepower. The GS550 is supposed to have 53. And with a higher redline I can stay in first gear longer.
                Not only that, but you are lighter!!

Amos

Comment

Wow, my numbers were off.

The 883 sportster has:

Max Power = 41.4 hp @ 6,100 rpm
                  Max Torque = 42.5 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm

And weighs 503lbs. Dry.

My gs550 supposedly weighs 431 dry. And for calculation sake I use 660lbs for bike, gas and nero ;-)

The sportster 1200 gives...

Max Power = 61.4 hp @ 5200 rpm
                  Max Torque = 73 lb-ft @ 3500 rpm

given the weight difference I could probally hold my own against the 1200 sportster as well.

Practice.. and you'll be whooping harleys all over the place :-)

Comment

I do need practice, but I certainly didn't really expect to win :?

but that 750GXXXEERRRS harley eater has given me bad ideas! :P

edit to get it right! GSXXRRSS750ED!

I've been doing pretty good at shifting quickly using the clutch even, just need to work on the start....

one good question to ask before I start F-ing around, what would be the sequence of movements to initiate a wheelie?? 8O 8O (just so I know what NOT to do!)

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                      I do it all the time Dom, always have. I had a dirt bike that didn't even have a clutch cable at one point. LOL! Stupid kids... I still seldom use the clutch but have been trying to retrain myself to have better habits. It can be bad on your shifting forks if you do it wrong.
                      Mark I have been driving without using the clutch for so many yeasr i cant remember BUT for drag racing you must back off on the gas or kill the engine to shift without the clutch. It is not the way to win a drag race unless you use a kill button and leave the throttle wide open. im just dis agreeing with the no clutch thing in a drag race and ill flatly say that you can not just shift the bike with an open throttle.

Comment

How to wheelie...

Well first off, there's a keith code's wheelie school. :-)

Seccond http://www.motobykz.co.uk/Riding_Tips/Wheelie.htm

Third, not specifally how to wheelie, but a lot of relevant infomration http://www.msgroup.org/TIP058.html

fourth, a not bad one. http://www.dirtrodders.com/wheelie.html

If you're dumpign the clutch to early, you're more likely to just lurch instead of launch the front wheel. your clutch hand is your torque selector.

to launch fast, you need to have the torque avilaable (throttle open wide enough, and at the right rpm) And then you use the clutch to take power from that engine and apply it to the rear wheel. Fast launches are... interesting. in anything. :-) bike or car. (this is what I've learned with my car and my friends cb450)

Comment

You got that right Scotty. :-) Start trying that one, and youre going to become very good at rebuilding transmissions.

Earl

im just dis agreeing with the no clutch thing in a drag race and ill flatly say that you can not just shift the bike with an open throttle.
                          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Something that some GSers may be overlooking. Some of the custom V-Twins are running relatively high perfomance engines producing 100 hp+ with about that many ft. lbs of torque. IMO it may take more than better technique to smoke one. Ft. Worth is the home of American Iron Horse and I've been surprised more than a couple of times. 8O

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                              Mark I have been driving without using the clutch for so many yeasr i cant remember BUT for drag racing you must back off on the gas or kill the engine to shift without the clutch. It is not the way to win a drag race unless you use a kill button and leave the throttle wide open. im just dis agreeing with the no clutch thing in a drag race and ill flatly say that you can not just shift the bike with an open throttle.
                              Yeah I missed that. You have to leave up on the throttle slightly for a millisecond or you wouldn't be able to. To me that would still be good enough for drag racing but since I don't do professional strip I most likely don't know what I am saying.

Comment

Working...
                              X