Flaky Manuals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flaky Manuals

OK, we all have clymer and haynes manuals and depend on them. I just bought a factory service manual and there is no comparison between them. The factory manual leaves nothing to question. Pics and explanations are far better than others. Lots more useful info also. Watch ebay, they come up all the time, and usually bring less than clymer. If you regularily work on bikes, you really need one.

Does it tell you how to adjust your carbs correctly? Like how to set the needle and choose a main jet and how to set the mixture screws?

If not then i ain't buying one.
    Everything else on the bike is easy as pie.
    It;s just these evil f'n carbs that no one has any info on.

Dm of mD

Comment

Detman101. I'm not sure if it's permissible to post a pic of a page from it on here as manuals were discussed before, but I will scan any page and send it to you that you want. For the vm carbs, it tell you how many turns back out for the pilot air screw and the pilot screw. It also tells which jets were used. Its got real nice pic of carb and an indepth explanation as how the carb actually works and why it does what it does. Keep in mind that these specs are only of value if your bike is stock. As I recall you have changed quite a bit from stock and therefor this book will not do what you want it to do. Pretty good reading though.

Comment

The factory manual shows a picture of every bolt that needs loctite on it, Clymer doesn't know what loctite is. That's reason enough to buy one. Suzuki makes excellent manuals.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

Originally posted by arveejay
          Detman101. I'm not sure if it's permissible to post a pic of a page from it on here as manuals were discussed before, but I will scan any page and send it to you that you want. For the vm carbs, it tell you how many turns back out for the pilot air screw and the pilot screw. It also tells which jets were used. Its got real nice pic of carb and an indepth explanation as how the carb actually works and why it does what it does. Keep in mind that these specs are only of value if your bike is stock. As I recall you have changed quite a bit from stock and therefor this book will not do what you want it to do. Pretty good reading though.
          Yeah, the stupid clymer tells all about the VM carbs but I run CV carbs and the stupid clymer says nothing about setting them besides "These carbs are set at the factory and shouldn't me changed".

If that is the same info your factory manual says then I'll pass and just keep figuring this mess out on my own.
          As it stands I've used my clymer once and that was to find out what color wires went to what.

That tells you info if your bike is stock but I still would like SOME info on the stock info as well because I may go back to stock one day. It's hard to figure out where to go when you have no frickin clue where you started from. :x

Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
            Yeah, the stupid clymer tells all about the VM carbs but I run CV carbs and the stupid clymer says nothing about setting them besides "These carbs are set at the factory and shouldn't me changed".

If that is the same info your factory manual says then I'll pass and just keep figuring this mess out on my own.
            As it stands I've used my clymer once and that was to find out what color wires went to what.

That tells you info if your bike is stock but I still would like SOME info on the stock info as well because I may go back to stock one day. It's hard to figure out where to go when you have no frickin clue where you started from. :x

Dm of mD
            Detman, I gotta say I respect you for doing it your way, I respect most your patience. I would not have the patience you have, if I would have gone thru as much pain and effort as you have, trying to get the bike running, I would have sold it a long time ago. Do you realize that if you would just have put it back to original stock pieces, from the airbox to the tailpipes, you would have been riding most of this time. Suzuki bikes are disigned as a unit, everytime something is changed, it effects something else. There are people who can change the pipes, carbs, intake, and be very sucessful, there is a lot of trial and error. I don't have that amount of patience. That is why I always go back to stock. I'd rather not have to invest that amount of time. Good luck with your project.

Comment

The best reason to get the factory manuals is that they really tell you what you NEED to know. Tolerances,minimums.maximums,run outs,torques and special tools.

Comment

Dm of mD
                Detman, I gotta say I respect you for doing it your way, I respect most your patience. I would not have the patience you have, if I would have gone thru as much pain and effort as you have, trying to get the bike running, I would have sold it a long time ago. Do you realize that if you would just have put it back to original stock pieces, from the airbox to the tailpipes, you would have been riding most of this time. Suzuki bikes are disigned as a unit, everytime something is changed, it effects something else. There are people who can change the pipes, carbs, intake, and be very sucessful, there is a lot of trial and error. I don't have that amount of patience. That is why I always go back to stock. I'd rather not have to invest that amount of time. Good luck with your project.
                Hehehe, Thank you. It makes me feel good that someone has noticed my efforts.
                Thank God that now my efforts are paying off. I now have a functioning, running bike that gets great gas mileage, has pods and a rocking exhaust and also looks great. It's been a long struggle but it has been worth it.

Dm of mD

Comment

Hehehe, Thank you. It makes me feel good that someone has noticed my efforts.
                  Thank God that now my efforts are paying off. I now have a functioning, running bike that gets great gas mileage, has pods and a rocking exhaust and also looks great. It's been a long struggle but it has been worth it.

Dm of mD
                  Exactly what do you credit with your increased mileage? - bike mods or lost weight due to frustration!
                  Seriously though, what do you think makes it goe further.

Comment

Well, it goes further now because I have the jetting correct.
                    See, I used to get about 30-35 miles to the tank when I had the wrong jets in it. The exhaust was so gassy that my eyes were burning at stoplights and the bike was a total pig to ride in any rpm range.

Thank you Dynojet for your hugely oversized kits!

Once I found the jetting chart on here and followed it with the correct sized jets my mileage is now 95 miles to the main tank.

Much MUCH better!!

Dm of mD

Comment

factory manual

I bought a factory manual from a former Suzuki factory mechanic (and gs resources member) a few years back. I have seen them on ebay, too.
                      It has helped me a bunch. Especially with electrical stuff (where I am particularly brain dead.)

Mike

Comment

I like them so mush that I buy them even for bikes I don't have.

Comment

Hey I'v got one for a GSX1400 :? in PDF

Comment

It's all very good reading.

Comment

Working...
                            X