One less...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One less...

I`m sorry to tell you folks that there are one less GSX in the world. This one was a beautiful big block special that met with steel telegraph pole. You can wiew the damage in https://www.bastardsracing.net and t....driver is OK.

Huh. Ouch. Looks like he high-sided/bailed to the right before impact. Probably a good choice considering...

Does the page say anything about the cause?

Comment

I think there was said something about tankslapper...But click on the LATEN on the left, there`s a story of building that bike.

Comment

what does 'highsided' mean? i've seen the word a few times, never understood it's meaning.

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
          what does 'highsided' mean? i've seen the word a few times, never understood it's meaning.

~Adam
          happens when in a turn, the rear wheel starts to slide out.... if the rider doesn't stay on the throttle and ride it out, the wheel will eventually catch and cause the bike to stand up, and effectively throw the rider into the air. a lowside is much better than a highside.. not that either are pleasant.

I have seen videos of people getting thrown as high as 15ft off a bike. The faster the speed, the more violent the highside.

Comment

One less..

Highsided on black ice once,only doing 15-20 MPH. 8O Vicious damn' thing,got thrown 20 feet!Guy across the street thought I'd bought the farm.Only damage to the bike was trashed headlight and tacho.Here's a tip;DO NOT fit a headlight from a GT250,a bottle of fireflies woulda been better! :P

Comment

If you have any question what a highside is, I'd reccomend taking the MSF course. It is covered. My instructor described his experience almost highsiding one of the tw200's....

The mechanics of a highside are this, you manage to slide your rear tire out. Either from locking it while braking, or from sliding it out in a corner. when a tire exceeds 6% slip (or so) it starts to loose traction. A tire that's locked only has 80% of the traction that a rolling tire has. At that point if you do anything ot make it regain traction, such as let go of the brake, or let off the throttle, the tire will suddenly regain 10-20% of it's tractive force, imediately catapulting your bike over the leading side of the bike. The bike becomes a wonderfull leaver and throws you over the top of the bike.

That's why youre taught to apply more throttle if things get squirrely, and if you lock the back brake, just ride it out. highsides can happen at 10mph or less.

There's another cause for a highside, but thats tied to bad steering geometry. it's possiable for your bike to get into a situation where you get headshake. Headshake is an uncontroled occilation of the handlebars. This just yanks the bike back and forth untill you're thrown off, or untill you run into a situation as decribed above.

Highsides scare the crap out of me. To say the least, I've researched them heavily.
              You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
              If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
              1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
              1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
              1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
              1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
              1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

i took the MSF 2 years ago at Northern Illinois University. they didn't get into the mechanics of those kind of things, but we learned to ride out rear brake lockups and such.

Thank you for the description guys.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
                X