Horn button in clutch lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horn button in clutch lever

I have a problem. Well, a couple problems. Problem number one is that my horn switch on the 1100 no workie. Second, if it did work, it would be useless in an emergency as my fingers aren't long enough to hit the horn and cover the clutch at the same time.

Solution: put a new horn switch on or in the clutch handle.

The best switch part I could find is here: http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=275%2D1556 I know Radio Shack is an excellent place to get ripped off on low-quality components, but it's the only place I can find a switch small enough to fit in my space requirements.

I figure I'll get the switch, take off the mounting nut and the big button surface. Then I'll drill a hole through my clutch lever, and tap it with whatever threads the mounting nut has. I'll drill out a 1/4" cavity to fit the body of the switch, and screw the switch straight into the clutch lever. I'll probably zip-tie the wires on for a while, until I'm sure I like it. If I'm happy with it I could cut a groove in the clutch handle, run the wires through it and encase them in epoxy.

The switch is rated at only 1.5 amps so I'll definitely want to install a relay for my 10 amp horn pair. I'll definitely also put an inline fuse in there to prevent my beloved 1100 from going up in flames if my ramshackle mounting job goes south.

I'm a bit concerned about weatherproofing. I could encase and seal the switch body well enough, but I don't have any ideas to prevent water from entering through the button shaft. Even if I could find a decent way to keep water from getting in, what if it does get in, would it ever leave or just sit there corroding my switch contacts?

If it turns out bad I figure the most I could lose are the switch materials and the clutch lever, $8.

So whaddya think? Anyone tried anything like this before?

Re: Horn button in clutch lever

Originally posted by mopolopo
    I have a problem. Well, a couple problems. Problem number one is that my horn switch on the 1100 no workie. Second, if it did work, it would be useless in an emergency as my fingers aren't long enough to hit the horn and cover the clutch at the same time.

Solution: put a new horn switch on or in the clutch handle.

The best switch part I could find is here: http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=275%2D1556 I know Radio Shack is an excellent place to get ripped off on low-quality components, but it's the only place I can find a switch small enough to fit in my space requirements.

I figure I'll get the switch, take off the mounting nut and the big button surface. Then I'll drill a hole through my clutch lever, and tap it with whatever threads the mounting nut has. I'll drill out a 1/4" cavity to fit the body of the switch, and screw the switch straight into the clutch lever. I'll probably zip-tie the wires on for a while, until I'm sure I like it. If I'm happy with it I could cut a groove in the clutch handle, run the wires through it and encase them in epoxy.

The switch is rated at only 1.5 amps so I'll definitely want to install a relay for my 10 amp horn pair. I'll definitely also put an inline fuse in there to prevent my beloved 1100 from going up in flames if my ramshackle mounting job goes south.

I'm a bit concerned about weatherproofing. I could encase and seal the switch body well enough, but I don't have any ideas to prevent water from entering through the button shaft. Even if I could find a decent way to keep water from getting in, what if it does get in, would it ever leave or just sit there corroding my switch contacts?

If it turns out bad I figure the most I could lose are the switch materials and the clutch lever, $8.

So whaddya think? Anyone tried anything like this before?
    So you are going to drill a hole through your clutch lever? I don't know about you, but my clutch is pretty stiff. I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice the integrity of the clutch lever in order to make it easier to hit the horn. Chances are, if you are in an emergency state, your horn isn't going to do you a bit of good. Keep your hands on the bars and cover your levers. Missing a gear shift to honk the horn sounds like a bad way to go down. just my .02

ride safe
    Chad

Comment

In an emergency the horn is the last thing you should be concerned about.

Comment

In an emergency the horn is the last thing you should be concerned about.
        Hard to argue that. My experience has been that if I see the catastrophe coming (like someone edging towards me before a lane change, etc.), I get to the horn and warn them off before it is a panic on my part (it sure is fun to watch them veer suddenly back into the other lane, too. Wankers... ).

If I get surprised and it is a true emergency the last thing I am worrying about is getting to the horn button. Typically the only thing that will keep you up is some quality emergency maneuvering; at that point the horn would only warn them of the impending impact.

My $0.02 (CDN at that...) from 18 years of riding (not as much as some of us here, but not a rookie, either )

Mark

Comment

Two other options

1. Knee activated switch

2. Hook your horn in parallel with your blinkers, that way your bike beeps with every blink (this works well in 3rd world countries with lots of congestion)

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by mopolopo
            I know Radio Shack is an excellent place to get ripped off on low-quality components, but it's the only place I can find a switch small enough to fit in my space requirements.
            I have serious reservations with using that switch outdoors. I've used similar parts from Rat Shack for indoor applications and they still went intermittent. If you're concerned about being able to use your horn, you won't be pleased with this one after a while.

Would a pushbutton switch mounted on top of the turn signal / dimmer switch be pratical? It might allow more room for a properly sealed switch.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Hinermad
              I have serious reservations with using that switch outdoors. I've used similar parts from Rat Shack for indoor applications and they still went intermittent. If you're concerned about being able to use your horn, you won't be pleased with this one after a while.

Would a pushbutton switch mounted on top of the turn signal / dimmer switch be pratical? It might allow more room for a properly sealed switch.

Dave
              Probably not. I don't see how I could easily control such a switch. I need my thumb on the underside of the grip so I don't lose it. And the fingers need to be out at the lever. So I'm going to keep trying to put out out at the lever.

I got the chance to see the switch at the store today. Nope. It's bigger than I thought, and the smaller ones arejust too flimsy. Gonna keep looking.

Comment

Originally posted by chud271
                So you are going to drill a hole through your clutch lever? I don't know about you, but my clutch is pretty stiff. I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice the integrity of the clutch lever in order to make it easier to hit the horn.
                No, my clutch does not take a team of horses to pull it. I believe it's made of cast aluminum, so I can probably take a fair amount out out of the thick section before I am in any danger.

Chances are, if you are in an emergency state, your horn isn't going to do you a bit of good.
                Incorrect. I'm not saying it's a Star Trek energy shield, but the horn is an essential safety tool, and I want to be able to use it when it's needed.

Keep your hands on the bars and cover your levers.
                Yes, that's the plan. I would like to be making noise while covering the clutch. Thus I am putting a horn button within easy reach for that situation.

Missing a gear shift to honk the horn sounds like a bad way to go down.
                That would be dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
                  Two other options

1. Knee activated switch

2. Hook your horn in parallel with your blinkers, that way your bike beeps with every blink (this works well in 3rd world countries with lots of congestion)

Steve
                  Y'know, at first I was thinking that a knee-operated switch wouldn't be very usable. But after a ride I'm thinking it's not such a bad idea... I'll look into it.

Michael

Comment

This tip must be for the american/canadian market only. 8O or

Comment

Emergeny situation...

Had an interesting one today

I was driving down DH#1 in BC today, a wonderful, twisty road, behind a couple on a Goldwing. I noticed the telephone wires alongside the road boouncing wildly.

Check the lake to see if the wind had suddenly come up..... no.

So, I slow down, remember, -- this IS weird.

Round the corner, and see a tree fallen across the highway

the Goldwing slows, then rides through the narrow gap between the top of the crown of the tree and the base which were broken apart by the telephone wire, leaving us in cages to sort things out. About 8 of us cleard the debris from the road, including manhandling the trunk of the tree into the ditch, and kicking the worst of the loose debris into the ditch as well.

Comments....

I was glad I had not passed the Goldwing -- I'd probably have been right on target for that tree.

Also glad the Goldwing rider was not travelling faster; for their sake & mine.

Must remember not to out ride sight lines on this road again!

AND.....
                      Would honking the horn have helped in this panic situation?

SV

Comment

you could switch the horn button for the start button.

Comment

Originally posted by gremlin
                          you could switch the horn button for the start button.
                          and then you can honk on your driveway, because the bike doesn't start anymore.

Comment

Re: Emergeny situation...

Originally posted by sv650

AND.....
                            Would honking the horn have helped in this panic situation?

SV
                            Yes, it could have helped. Your horn wouldn't have helped you, but it could have some additional advance warning/wakeup to the folks behind you.

Glad everybody was OK!

Comment

I used mine twice today and saved me from going through drastic emergency maneouvres. Maybe an adjustable clutch lever is what you need.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X