Auxilliary Fuel Tank for Carb Synch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auxilliary Fuel Tank for Carb Synch

This last weekend I did a carbsynch using the CarbTune II from John Morgan.
    I needed an auxilliary fuel tank to run the bike during this procedure, so I got 3 feet of 1/4 inch fuel line from the hardware store ($.89 cents/foot) and a Black and Decker Workmate folding workbench (birthday gift). With the Workmate set up behind and to the rear of the bike I could put my fuel tankmore or less level with the original position of the tank. This satisfied my auxilliary tank issue and all it cost me was $2.67 plus tax. Any small table or stand would work as well.

Harrison

I use a Honda 70 tank hung by the bars with fencing wire. NB. DO NOT LEAVE THIS SET-UP ON OVERNIGHT, EVEN IF YOU BELIEVE THE TANK IS EMPTY! It ain't. Fuel will fill up the cylinders. Don't ask me how I know... Uh, you will find out which needle and seats need replacing though. :roll:
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

That's true, Kevin. However, not everyone has a Honda 70 tank hanging around. They do, however, have a small table (Heck, even a tall stool or a tall chair will work) and the original fuel tank to the bike. The only added expense is the 3 feet of fuel line. This has got to be the easiest and least expensive way to hook up the fuel tank for a carb synch. If anyone has a cheaper/more convenient method I'd be happy to hear it. I'm always looking for the easiest/cheapest/most efficient way of doing anything.

Harrison

Comment

Originally posted by Harrison Clement
        That's true, Kevin. However, not everyone has a Honda 70 tank hanging around. They do, however, have a small table (Heck, even a tall stool or a tall chair will work) and the original fuel tank to the bike. The only added expense is the 3 feet of fuel line. This has got to be the easiest and least expensive way to hook up the fuel tank for a carb synch. If anyone has a cheaper/more convenient method I'd be happy to hear it. I'm always looking for the easiest/cheapest/most efficient way of doing anything.

Harrison
        I use a small plastic gas container with a length of fuel line pushed on the vent nipple of the gas container and secured with a small hose clamp. It's a 2.5 gal container and I fill it to less than half full. I use a fuel filter to attach the line from the nipple to the fuel line going to the carbs. I place the container on a 8 foot step ladder with the fuel line and nipple on the bottom. It has worked fine. I found the idea of using the nipple of a gas can some where on GSR when I was researching tuneing up my GS850G last year.

Comment

Re: Auxilliary Fuel Tank for Carb Synch

Originally posted by Harrison Clement
          This last weekend I did a carbsynch using the CarbTune II from John Morgan.
          I needed an auxilliary fuel tank to run the bike during this procedure, so I got 3 feet of 1/4 inch fuel line from the hardware store ($.89 cents/foot) and a Black and Decker Workmate folding workbench (birthday gift). With the Workmate set up behind and to the rear of the bike I could put my fuel tankmore or less level with the original position of the tank. This satisfied my auxilliary tank issue and all it cost me was $2.67 plus tax. Any small table or stand would work as well.

Harrison
          I did the exact same thing a week ago with my Carbtune II. I put a piece of 2x4 under the back of the tank, it gave me enough room to get the fuel and vacuum line on. The table was the perfect height. I used 3" of steel brake line (1/4" and 5/16" OD) to attach the temp hoses to the bikes hoses for easy attaching. When done, push the steel line into the other end of the temp fuel line and you can easily hang the loop.

Comment

Hmm...

I just use a big funnel, poked in to the fuel line and tied to the frame by a bungee. The funnel holds plenty of fuel for the job.

Comment

I bought a small plastic tank intended as a universal windshield washer fluid or antifreeze reservior. A few moments with a pair of pliers and a wire hanger, and I can now hang it from my left handlebar and the sync tool can hang from my right handlebar.

The tank has a couple of different fittings going in different directions so you can choose the one that works best for your application. Just clip the end of the fitting off and there you go.

The tank is made of the same plastic as a gas can, so it's safe to use with gas. The cap is rather rudimentary, so I make sure I pour the leftover gas into my lawnmower when I'm done with the motorcycle.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
              X