I musta done somethin right sometime!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I musta done somethin right sometime!!

just last night I was thinking about how odd it's become to drive the cage as I came home from playing in the creek in my kayak, and just basked in the glory of finally having a motorcycle. when I got home and parked in front of the bike, I noticed a strong gas smell, and thought "Oh crap, I hope I shut that damn petcock (after running out of gas the other day on reserve :x D'oh!) walked around the smelly old thing, and low and behold it was on prime again!!

So I thought I would do as I did the last time I f___'d up like that, and start the bike to at least blow out any sitting in the engine. when I turned the key, the starter rolled it over one time and jammed. OH double crap, now I've done it. tried a few seconds later just to see and it just buzzed, definitely jammed.

So then I was majorly depressed, really sure I had killed the old girl, or at least put 'er out of commission for a while till I could get to tearing it down, so I rolled it up into the driveway and parked it on the centerstand to rest and went to bed.

All morning I was *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ed I couldn't ride to work today, and went about my morning accordingly, lollygagging around since I can get to work ten minutes faster in the car anyway... but as I walked out to the car, I just had to try again. so I pushed the button, and whadya know, she roars to life!!! not jammed, not funny from gas? the window had looked like there was a normal oil level, so whoo hooo!!! I didn't have to drive the damn cage after all!!!!

that's all, just glad to be here by two wheels, not four!!!

I'd still change the oil because gasoline can strip lubricants off metal parts.

Comment

Easy procedure to change the oil, worth the insurance. Even a little gas starts the viscosity breakdown.

I love that my petcock works perfectly. Someday it will fail, but for now it works as designed.

Comment

it's not the petcock that's the problem, more like user error!!

I guess you're right, and I didn't change the filter last time anyway, so I probably should do it all.

I'm just glad it's not scrap iron now

Comment

If that happens again, pop out your spark plugs, and turn the engine over, be careful as gas will come out of the plug holes. I would put a rag over the holes to prevent the spray. Then put the plugs back in, change the oil, and start her up. The reason it started in the morning is that the gas had a chance to get past the rings, the reason it wouldn't turn over is hydraulic lock, the pistons couldn't compress the gas in the cylinder, so the engine won't turn..

Comment

aha! that makes things fit better. I've been wondering how the gas actually gets in the oil, but I guess the rings, while sealed, have a way that the gas can get down them, but only very slowly, hence the fact it has compression?

last time I started it like this it literally poured gas out of the mufflers!!! I guess it had sat long enough to have a little air, or perhaps only one or two of the pistons had gas in them and were at their high point, leaving room to suck in air as it started and then expel the remaining gas?? it seems to happen worst when I leave it leaned pretty far, as the petcock was on prime for the night before as well, but not as much lean so my float valves caught it!

ps, thanks for the tip, I hope I can keep my brain turned on and never have to use it!!!

Comment

Thats true. However, every time you forget to turn the petcock off and hit the starter and it hydrolocks and stops, those three little bolts that hold the starter clutch to the rotor take all the load. You will do it one of these times, and it will sheer them off. I can say from experience that getting three old, crusted bolt ends out of the rotor when they are broken off flush is not something you will enjoy, and if you mess up the threads, you're going to be buying a new rotor. Ummmm, oil change, filter, rotor.......about a $200 mistake if you do the sork yourself. Add $200 if you have a shop do it.

Earl

Originally posted by lhanscom
              the reason it wouldn't turn over is hydraulic lock, the pistons couldn't compress the gas in the cylinder, so the engine won't turn..
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I like my vacuum petcock
                I would be changing oil daily if I had a shut off valve 8O

I am glad you got to ride. It is so worth it
                Change your oil bro.

Comment

oil changed. 8)

I do have a vacuum petcock, and it works well now that I've cleaned and rebuilt it a few times :roll: now I just have to remember to use the damn thing!!!

and I found the wire that was loose causing my left signal not to work, too!! boy, that's nice to have back.

I'll take that into consideration, Earl, I don't think that sounds like much fun!! 8O

thanks guys!!

Comment

I second Earl..Starter clutch/rotor= B1tch

Comment

Originally posted by bybowtie
                      I second Earl..Starter clutch/rotor= B1tch
                      Keep in mind that the whole starter clutch thing appears to be the 1150 nemisis, not so much with the other models. I'm sure it's possible to break them though. I feel your pain, I broke the starter clutch bolts twice in a week. That was a week ago. :x

Comment

am I missing something? My 1980 850G's petcock reads on or prime or reserve

Comment

Originally posted by nayasoldman
                          am I missing something? My 1980 850G's petcock reads on or prime or reserve
                          That's the settings of a vacuum petcock. Your not missing a thing. When it is set to On or Reserve it is off unless a vacuum is applied to the diaphragm. When they work right they are a wonderful thing. Some ppl have troubles with them so they put a regular on/off valve (Pingel) on to replace it.

Comment

thanks Mark, glad I wasn't doing anything wrong---------my bike always starts like a charm(ew, maybe I shouldn't have said that). When I leave the petcocks on with my old airhead I have serious leakage

Comment

Re: I musta done somethin right sometime!!

Originally posted by snowbeard
                              ....I got home and parked in front of the bike, I noticed a strong gas smell, and thought "Oh crap, I hope I shut that damn petcock (after running out of gas the other day on reserve :x D'oh!) walked around the smelly old thing, and low and behold it was on prime again!!
                              Mr. Snowbeard, please note that creating unsociable smells in public is against City of Boulder ordinances, as is the criminal wastage of our natural resources (ahem.....please ignore the herds of SUVs on our streets. ). Unless you show more contrition in future, our municipal thought-police will have to confiscate your motorcycle, and issue you with an eco-friendly bicycle.

You have been warned!

The Committee for Correctness,
                              Spaceship Boulder.

Comment

Working...
                              X