Operation Change the Oil in the Suzuki part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Operation Change the Oil in the Suzuki part 1

I got this bike about 3 weeks ago or so, and she needs an oil change. So, I purchase the oil today and get psyched up for the adventure. Keep in mind, I'm not all /that/ mechanically inclined, so this was sorta a new thing for me. (On a bike at least. On the cage is no trouble)

Drain the oil, blah blah blah, notice that the header pipe for cylinder #4 isn't getting hot, no biggie, just add that to my mental list of "wacky problems with my carbs that I'm not gonna mess with myself" and continue with the oil change. I fill the oil back up, put in the new filter and after wrestling with the obstinate filter cover gasket finally get that re-attached.

Fire up the bike...hmm...oil pressure light isn't going off...that's odd...give her some revs, light goes off...well, I put 4 quarts in, per the Clymer...hmmm...why don't I look to see if it's leaking or something...bend over, look....OH SMEG!!! big puddle of oil on the driveway!

Turn the bike off, use about half a roll of paper towels to sop up what I could and then take off the filter cover. Gasket is in the right spot...that's weird...

Fiddle about and fume a bit and then re tighten the filter cover. Put in the little oil I have remaining, just to see if it's still leaking...fire it up, yep, still leaking....smeg.

I then fiddle around some more and discover what I think to be the problem. The top bolt thing that holds the filter cover on is actually like a bolt, meaning that the threaded part comes OUT of the bike, unlike the bottom two, where there's a post that sticks out that a nut threads on to. This top "bolt" (it's really more just a threaded rod) has two nuts on it. What I think happened is that tightening it down only tightened the first nut to the second nut, not securing the cover at that location.

Upon typing this long rambling post, I am beginning to wonder if the "threaded rod" as opposed to a "threaded post that's actually securely attached to the bike" is an "aftermarket feature" that I might need to look into fixing...any further advice?

BTW, I'm now out of oil and daylight, so I called it quits....for today.

You are correct the top "bolt" is supposed to be a post you screw the nut onto.
    Dink

Comment

quick question... how the heck do you tell how much oil you have? I know about the little window. but it looks to be permanently black on both my 83 gs and my roommates 80 gs... We took one of the side covers off and replaced his stator and only about I dunno a cup and a half of oil came out. We figured we needed to replace it. I grabbed the nearest flashlight and took a look as he poured in about a cup and a half of oil. I didn't notice and level change in the window at all. Am I missing something?

Comment

my oil window is pretty dirty, especially with the old oil. when I was trying to decide how dirty it was, I shined the flashlight thru the filler hole while pouring new oil in. I could see the clean oil pour thru the black oil, so I knew it would at least show later. now after three changes I can see in without a light. there is a small piece in there to give reflection as well, about 1/4 inch back from the window.

aside from that, I can't help with what's on the ground... good luck!!

Comment

The best thing you could do would be to pull the clutch cover off, and clean the window, cutton buds and metho I suppose would do the trick
          Dink

Comment

The "threaded rod" is referred to as a "stud" and they are supposed to be there, in the correct position to let you put the nuts on them and secure the cover. Make it so.

Comment

As far as oil capacity, I believe my 750 held 3400ml.

BTW, I was waiting for you to say that after adding 12 qts of oil, you discovered that the oil plug was still removed. I've known a few people to have done that in their cars.

Brad tt

Comment

oil nightmare

your story reminds me of my ordeal with a 2 quart oil canister with a cartridge filter on my 68 school bus! I think the grass is still dead where it bubbled out over the top of that stupid thing. I finally discovered there was a burnt piece of gasket where the oil flows in and out of the engine block. I converted it to a spin on filter adapter. My wife and stepson still laugh about the great bus oil change fiasco that summer and my neck still hurts from laying up under the bus scratching my head! Failure is the root of greating discovery! Ride on dude, Dave

Comment

that reminds me of something that happened at the shop up the street from mine--- someone decalibrated their 15w40 gun, for the diesels, and one of their rookie technicians inadvertently pumped 10 gallons of oil into a Duramax diesel, instead of 10 qts, and started it. got to see the aftermath...nice oil bathed floors

Comment

I was once under a Land Rover draining the oil and some clown started it up.........
                    Result:No damage to Rover(luckily),I had sore knuckles,he had a broken nose!

Comment

I had a 1980 Goldwing - the oil viewing window had a screwdriver slot in the middle which turned a little 'squeegee' on the inside to keep the window clear.

Comment

Originally posted by m0unds
                        that reminds me of something that happened at the shop up the street from mine--- someone decalibrated their 15w40 gun, for the diesels, and one of their rookie technicians inadvertently pumped 10 gallons of oil into a Duramax diesel, instead of 10 qts, and started it. got to see the aftermath...nice oil bathed floors
                        And I'm reminded of a day when I picked up a tow truck from a shop we used way back when. The truck had been in for a PM service. About twenty minutes after I had driven the truck away, my dispatcher called on the radio, all excited.
                        DISPATCH: Get that truck back to the shop! Right now!
                        ME: Why?
                        DISPATCH:The mechanic called and says there's no oil filter on that truck.
                        ME: Please. This thing holds 29 quarts. Wouldn't someone have noticed all that oil spilling out of the engine?
                        DISPATCH: The mechanic says there's no oil in it either...

Comment

My oil story

I bought my '78 GS1000 about three weeks ago and finnaly got around to an oil change. Up on the center stand it goes, I toss the oil pan under the engine and remove the drain plug. After the oil drains for awhile, I start to think "that's a lot of oil". Seems the previous owner put in about 8 quarts. I then look at my after market manual for the proper quantity and I see 7.9 pints. WTF! there's no way that engine can hold 8 quarts of oil. After about 10 minutes of looking at the manual, I realize it reads 7.9 PINTS which equals about 4 QUARTS. I guess the previous owner read pints and put in quarts. Go figure.

Comment

Working...
                          X