Starting technique with no clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting technique with no clutch

Yesterday I was riding home and my clutch cable broke. I know how to fix that, the part has been ordered and will be here in 3-5 days. That's not my question.
    I needed to ride ~60 miles yet to get home. My technique for stopsigns and signal lights was to nearly come to a stop and then scoot through. On the 7 or 8 spots that I had to come to a complete stop, I killed the engine and then while in first gear, used the starter to get the bike running/moving again.
    My question, what other techniques can be used? A co-worker told me he would come to a stop in neutral, then to get going again, give the bike a push to get some speed and then put it into gear. This seems clumbsy and like too much work to me.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2006, 01:26 PM. Reason: spelling error

Check out the following thread http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ic.php?t=24137
    Carry one of these and you won't have to drive home with no clutch.

Comment

The Gericke Nipple Brakdown Kit looks great! I'll have to look for it on this side of the Atlantic. A quick search of the internet come up empty. And yes, a working clutch cable/lever would have been better. I'll have to add a little tool bag so I can carry a pair of vise grips. 8O...Gasp, no I don't have a toolkit for the bike yet.

Comment

There's a store in LA called Intersport Fashions West,Inc,sorry, no address shown in the Gericke catalogue,but directory enquiries could help.

Comment

I would do like you did, the rolling stop where I can. On the areas where you have to stop, pop it in neutral coming to the stop, then hop off to the side, get it moving, jump on and slam it in second (easier to get into than first and you don't have that long shift to second).

Done it a few times, and I feel for you, good luck!
          Kenny

Comment

Happened to me a few years ago....if it broke at the engine get 2 cable ties and a piece of cable...thread the new piece through the lever put together the cable ties and get it as tight as possible...it lasted me 200 miles and got me home.

Comment

Working...
            X