Storm Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storm Ride

This is in response to a topic in gen discussion by Dave Platt on the worst weather conditions ridden in.

Well, on a different note than my previous post to this topic, sometimes there is bad weather and an unpleasant ride and other times there are terrible riding conditions and an enjoyable ride. Yesterday was one of the most memorable rides I have had.

The weather was storm fronts and thunderheads in all directions and had been since my early morning departure. I headed north and had covered a little over three hundred miles by the time of my return and reaching a point about 100 miles north of home around 4 pm. A black storm front and gusting winds had decended from the north and followed me most of the day. By 4 pm, there was also a lightening storm front a few miles to my east and headed my way, and there were rainclouds to the west. I could clearly see the columns of rain pouring out of the westerly clouds. The impending hurricane was approaching from the south and that was the worst weather of all. The sprinkling rain and relatively clear patch of earth and sky I was riding in was soon to disappear as the fronts were converging on my position from four directions. I stopped alongside the road when less that a mile in any direction, I could see a white wall of water on a background of grey, turning to black, as day became night. The hiss of lightening audibly turned the rain to steam. It was time to resort to my rain suit. I had no sooner gotten the suit all fastened down, helmet and gloves back on and ready when it reached me. I figured the best thing to do was just stay there, brace myself and the bike up and wait for however long it took to pass by and return to a reasonable level. The rain became harder and harder and was now blowing horizontally. Lightening was so frequent and close as to be as if I were inside a flashbulb. I needed my dark face shield down if for no other reason than to not be "whiteout" blinded by the lightening. I estimated the winds a steady 40 mph with gusts probably in the 60 range.
    It quickly became apparent, I would not be able to hold the bike up if conditions became worse and the effort required would tire me out in about 15 minutes. So while I was still fresh, I elected to choose option 1 of 1. ................go somewhere else. :-) :-)

The Teddy Bear started eagerly, as if to say, "its about time one of us did something useful. I was beginning to wonder about you." The road was empty of traffic and the bear was sure footed and content to sing quietly, never missing a note.

As we started down the road, low speed control was haphazard with the high crosswinds, low visibility and necessary low acceleration. As speed increased, the water flowed off the face shield and visibility returned.
    Stability increased with speed also and the wind became easier to handle.
    A half mile ahead, a huge lightening bolt reached from infinity and appeared to touch the road, its blue white tunnel completely spanning both lanes. With the continuous lightening, the landscape lost all color, taking on the appearance of a black and white photograph negative.
    The road became white and the water looked like mercury with horizontal rain appearing as elongated mercury bullets. Trees appeared and disappeared with each lightening flash as did the road. On the white asphalt, the super shiny mercury mirrors were the ruts and holes in the road that were filled with deep water and reflected the lightening. The shiny dark grey patches were the places were oil was saturated into the asphalt and the light grey white areas were the surfaces with thin water and no holes or ruts. The Teddy Bear glided down the roadway, picking the safe spots to cross, staying out of the deep water and off the oily patches. Side to side, more like a cross between flying a plane and sailing a Hobie Cat than moving as a motorcycle. Visually, at 70 mph (the speed needed to handle the conditions) it was like threading a time tunnel or a worm hole at warp speed in a world of sliver and white where everything was perceived as a streak. There wasnt any rolling motion noticable. The bike flowed to whatever I thought as I let it run with a light grip, allowing it to compensate for the wind on its own. I spent an hour intently threading the needle that was the road, focusing ahead and following a river of silver shadows in a white world of blowing mercury with lightening as my headlight.

If I had it to do again, I would.

Earl
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

That was a great read!! Thanks Earl!

Comment

truly top rate report.. I usually dont like to read long posts or topics as I bore easily(well you know small minds lol) But I actually paused the show I was watching to finish...Good show

Comment

It was an exhilarating ride. I wish I had it on video.

Earl

Originally posted by bybowtie
        truly top rate report.. I usually dont like to read long posts or topics as I bore easily(well you know small minds lol) But I actually paused the show I was watching to finish...Good show

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Whoa! That sounds like the mother of storm rides. I was riding around Estes Park(Colorado) last weekend and was right on the edge of a thunder storm. Being up high I could track the storm, though not avoid it. By the time I got down to 7,000ft it was hailing-made the for a winter landscape. By the time I got home(at about 4,900ft.) it was 80 degrees. Love those storms!

Comment

Great story Earl.
            I'd forgotten that thread.

Last Saturday I left work wanting to beat the storms. I head my usual direction and I can see a couple of miles ahead a storm just dumping buckets. So I U-turn and head for Plan B. Looking good so far. I decide on a back way and can see the storm to the right of me. I'm thinking, Ok just need to make a couple lights and should be smoothe sailing. This whole time I'm watching this storm coming from my right. I neglected to focus ahead of me. This storm is pretty odd shaped. Like a boomarang. I see up ahead that it is coming down in droves, so I get in the right lane of this 6 lane road, but damn, no where to pull over and get the rain gear on. I had to get into the center lane and wait for traffic so I can U-Turn again. Too late. Just as I U-turn it starts to drizzle. I hurry up and find a drive way to pull over. Just as I put the stand down it starts coming down like I've never seen. I put my jacket on but was already drenched. Much to most peoples disdain, I had shorts and tennis shoes on. I didn't bother with the pants as I was so saoked already. I got back on and let me tell ya, my shoes were completely filled with water. The seat on my 750 curves up the tank and what a refreshing feeling of cold water on the privates. 8O 8O . Though visibility was not very good I took off. I will agree with Earl. The focus and concentration and the waves from the cars going by, it was truly a neat experience. The Kenda's gripped well in all that water. If was actually fun.

WHile this was in no way comparible to Earls adventure, it was a blast. I'm not in a hurry to do it again, but won't be so hesitant next time. It's funny how that storm fooled me though. It's as if it wasn't letting me off so easy. Guess you can't outguess some storms. For those who've never seen a florida storm, You can actually see the wall of water coming down. It's really neat. The other night I heard thunder and saw lightning. I went out front and looked up. To the left was a clear sky with the moon and stars. To the right you could see the wall of the storm Black as could be. Those are really cool.

Comment

Great story Earl! It just goes to show, when you've got your teddy bear with you, things will be OK.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Earl, I actually read all of that. Invigorating!
                I have not had the same experience but have had similar ones.
                It is an experience that is remembered as good even though the
                onlooker would say, "oh, poor guy".

With the full body dress my Seca used to cut through bad rainy weather a lot as I rode it year round and as long as you kept moving, you didn't even really get wet.

On my GS, there has been many an occasion pulling into the driveway, finally home, soaked to my skivvies as if to have been completely dunked into a pond. It has always been fun

Yet, somehow, I still look to avoid it 8O

LOL!

Comment

I've lost count of how many rides I have been soaked, dried out and resoaked 5 or 6 times. :-) I dont mind rain at all if I dont have to mix it with heavy traffic.

Earl

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                  On my GS, there has been many an occasion pulling into the driveway, finally home, soaked to my skivvies as if to have been completely dunked into a pond. It has always been fun

Yet, somehow, I still look to avoid it 8O

LOL!

Comment

I've lost count of how many rides I have been soaked, dried out and resoaked 5 or 6 times. I dont mind rain at all if I dont have to mix it with heavy traffic.
                    I hear ya Earl, down here it's hard to miss the storms. They come so fast and abundant. I've gotten acustomed to how this old bike handles in the rain and the only nuisance anymore is stopping to put the rain gear on.

Comment

Working...
                    X