Carbs = Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbs = Confusion

I have a 1982 GS1100L. I dont care much about the luxury model, but i do care about going fast. i bought some vance and hines 4 into 1 pipes with no baffle and i'm having some issues. I know that the carbs needed rebuilt even before the new pipes but now its almost unridable. Since i bought the bike my low end was very poor. whenever i let off the throttle it would kinda of lurch alittle and it wasn't smooth at all. I didn't worry to much about it since one i really opened her up it went like a bat out of hell. Even with these wide open pipes its fine if i can get it up over like 5 or 6000 or so. Also i have a k&n air filter.

I was going to go by the book and rebuild the carbs but i figured with the much less restrictive exhaust i'd need bigger jets. Are there resources out there to help determine what size jet is good? i have no idea, also i've never rebuilt a carb before. i was going to take it to a shop to have it done, but other then me being poor i was worried that they would just do a stock carb rebuild and i'd be right where i started. If anyone knows of a good suzuki carb guy in Mass or Conn, please let me know. I'd be happy to pay someone as long as i know it will be done right. Thanks, and i hope someone can help.

Try this in the perfomance mods section and you will likely get a better response.

Check this link for a basic rule of thumb regarding jet changes and mods:

Mark

Comment

I've heard that if you take the bike to a shop with an exhaust oxygen sensor they will get the jetting on the dot the first try.

Comment

I've heard that if you take the bike to a shop with an exhaust oxygen sensor they will get the jetting on the dot the first try.
        That is a bit of a simplification. If they are any good, they will get it dead on, but it will usually take several changes and a dyno run or two in between each change. Beware shops that only tune new sport bikes, they often are useless at sorting out older bikes. If they are truly competent, it should not matter, but I have seen a shop screw around with a buddy's 1200 Bandit for weeks just because it was not a current GSXR and they only had the cookie cutter approach nailed down for the late model bikes.

There is a shop locally here (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) who will jet anything from scratch for $400-$500CDN, using a dyno and sniffer. Steep price, but they guarantee perfection when they are done. Depends on your sense of value and money situation. Myself, I installed a Dynojet kit in my ZX-9 and leave it at that. Runs well, gets good mileage and it cost me $10 off E-bay....But I am cheap.

Mark

Comment

Man, that would be abotu 90% of the shops currently in existence.
          They all only seem to work on the latest "In Fashion" bikes.
          Guess that keeps money in their pockets as all these stupid kids go out and crash up "Gixxxxers".

bloody brainless monkeys.

Dm of mD

Comment

carb probs

If you dont want to do the rebuild your self, look under my name(James Adams) for an article about rich carbs and one of the reponders says he is a carb expert and I think he will rebuild your carbs. I have an 83 gs1100gk and I just fixed my carb problem by bypassing the red/yellow wires to the coils and wiring it up per wiredgeorges' schematic. Man what a difference full battery voltage to my dyna coils made. No more sooty plugs. It now runs and pulls harder with my wife riding with me than it used to run with just me, and the plugs are just right. One of the responders to my problem stated that a rulle of thumb is two sizes up on jetting for aftermarket exhaust and another 1-2 for pod air filters. I have never tried this, but they sure fixed my problem, so they must know something. The suzuki dealer could not even figure my problem out, but these guys did. One of the problems with going to the dealer is that most of the mechanics weren't even born when your bike was built. I have had a suzuki dealer refuse to work on my 79 gs750 because he said it was way older than his mechanis and they didn't like working on bikes older than 10 years.Good luck. James Adams

Comment

Working...
            X