carb cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb cleaner

For maintainance or ??? carb cleaner, yes or no? Has anyone used it with success, any cautions?

I have used Gumout carb cleaner to wash the outsides and to clean out the intakes on my carbs. There were no problems.

I have used a carb cleaner dip when rebuilding my carbs. You need to remove ALL rubber/o-rings/etc before dipping though.

Comment

I've used Gumout carb cleaner or Injecter cleaner for years by adding some to the gas and have never seen anything bad happen to my carbs. I remove and clean my carbs about every 2 to three years and they've never been very bad.

Comment

I use Berryman's Chem-Dip for cleaning disassembled carb parts. Metal only. This stuff will eat/soften rubber and plastic as discussed. If you've got a tank with varnished fuel sludge inside, this will break it up pretty good. Just dont neglect to remove the petcock. Berryman's B-12 spray is good for cleaning outside and choke plates. I've used the liquid B-12 in the tank. I like to add a shot of Marvel's Mystery Oil in the tank every spring, or when it warms up enough to ride regularly. Also if i've drained the tank/bowls for storage, I'll add some to that first fresh tankful.

Comment

Carb cleaner

As A mechanic (not now) but I ocassionally work on cars and bikes.
          The best carb cleaner by FAR is General Motors (GM) carb cleaner which can be bought at any Chevy dealers, if you want to go all the way and do a mint job, use the choke cleaner then once everything looks clean, go ahead and us GM top engine cleaner which gets all the crap out of valves/pison and rings and DOES work. Phil.

Comment

Working...
          X