Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ANYONE HAVE CRUISE CONTROL ON THEIR BIKE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ANYONE HAVE CRUISE CONTROL ON THEIR BIKE?

JUST CURIOUS ABOUT LAZINESS

Throttle Rocker

There's already a few messages about these on the forum but I can tell you that Throttle Rockers are wonderful...I bought one thinking I would take it off from time to time...I've never removed it and I just lOVE it.

You can buy one directly from the company (I think they cost $10 delivered). Mine's a couple of years old and still works but I plan to buy another one...just in case! :roll:

Of course, it's not a cruise control system but it's pretty slick!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I had one on my Seca. Got it installed and setup to work right. Never used it. Not even once. I cannot imagine why you would want to put such a thing on a bike?

Comment

The only time I can really see any use for it is on four lane highways. I'm going to have a throttle lock on the 1100, and have already come to the conclusion that it could be a dangerous thing for two lane roads.

Brad tt

Comment

I use my throttle lock almost ALL the time. It's become second nature to flick it off when I need to, and even if it's engaged it can easily be overridden. I won't ride any distance without one -- it's a real joy to have!

Steve 8)

Comment

I don't have a throttle lock on my bike, yet some kind of "cruise control" on a bike is certainly nice to have.

The group I ride with has several Gold Wing and one BMW K1200LT rider. Even though I usually lead on the country roads, it's nice to let one of these guys lead when riding the interstate (which is unfortunately necessary sometimes).

Following a guy whose electronic cruise control sets the bike nicely at 74 mph, (9 over the speed limit), is quite convenient. Cops with radar will leave us alone, and it makes the boring ride go quicker.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
              I don't have a throttle lock on my bike, yet some kind of "cruise control" on a bike is certainly nice to have.

The group I ride with has several Gold Wing and one BMW K1200LT rider. Even though I usually lead on the country roads, it's nice to let one of these guys lead when riding the interstate (which is unfortunately necessary sometimes).

Following a guy whose electronic cruise control sets the bike nicely at 74 mph, (9 over the speed limit), is quite convenient. Cops with radar will leave us alone, and it makes the boring ride go quicker.

Nick
              That would be the way to go, a real cruise control system. Although even at that, my last 3 cars all had great functioning cruise control systems in them. I have driven to Florida and Kentucky and all over and have never ever used them more than just to try it. I simply do not like it. I like to be in control I guess? The throttle lock is what I had on my bike and it is out.

Comment

I have used several on previous bikes but one of the things that I don't like about a throttle lock is that they eventually cut into the plastic throttle tube under the grip.

I use a throttle rocker and it works pretty well. The only thing that I miss about the throttle locks is being able to take my right hand off the bars every now and then.

Comment

I have a Vista Cruise on my 1100 and use it once it a while. Canada doesn't have enough flat road to use it as a cruise control, I just use it to hold the speed constrant while my right hand is off of the bar. Be it to close a zipper, scrath something, or heat my hand up on the engine.

Steve

Comment

I have a throttle lock and I hate it, in fact, thanks for reminding me to take it off tonight.

The stupid thing doesn't hold the throttle still (slips a little) and takes more than a thumb to take off, resulting in the RRREEEEEEEEEOOOOOoooooowwww Engine brake every time I blow the thing loose.

Comment

I have a throttlemeister on my R1, and its not that bad, but not super great. Once you get it dialed in, holding steady throttle is easy.

Disengaging is a bit tricky while under power, but you can roll one off while holding throttle. Usually I just get really lazy, clutch in and back off the throttlemeister, then match throttle to speed and re-engage clutch.

It is pretty cool to ride along no handed though

Comment

I don't know what these have to do with being lazy, but they are very useful. I've had mine for 18 or 19 years now.

I have an old N.E.P. throttle lock that operates with a thumb lever. Once adjusted, it engages and disengages easily, and you can still rotate the throttle when it's engaged.

I don't use it very frequently, but it's sure nice to have when my right hand needs some relief on a long ride.

Comment

I should mention that it's a really long stretch for your thumb if you're trying to rev the bike and start it at the same time.

Steve

Comment

I have an NEP one also, I think it works really well. Easy to apply, disengage, simple, and does not "lock" the throttle so hard it can't be overridden.

Kenny

Comment

A throttle lock can be a useful thing when doing repairs, it frees up a hand, basically Used it when doing electrical diagnostics. Don't normally use it when riding.

Comment

Working...
                              X