doin the EASY RIDER thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

doin the EASY RIDER thing

I bought my GS1000n new out of the crate in the spring of 1980. It was about $4200 (a lot of $ I was in high school!) and rode it proudly, no one else had anything to touch it. A good job was mine to be had after I graduated and I had great transportation too boot. Twentytwo years of age came and I wasn't too happy so I quit my job after banking a sizable amount and headed out from Toronto towards Vancouver.
    I was in no hurry ,I just wanted to see Canada. On a sunday afternoon half way between Sudbury and the Soo I came upon a couple on a Goldwing that had a flat. I stopped to offer assistance and noticed they were from California which is a h*ll of a ride from nothern Ontario. Then to blow me away farther they had a dog with them!!! He sat in the tank bag looking out the windshield! We could not believe our luck to get the tire fixed at a gas station/bike shop only 20 miles down the road.(It was illegal to be open on a sunday in Ont. at that time with few exceptions) but being a gas station he was open. When we got back it took 6 bikers who had stopped to help to get the tire back on.( bike sank in the soft shoulder and we had to lift it up!) I then rode to Vancouver with a guy who stopped to help.
    In Vancouver I was introduced to Wreck Beach, beautiful to be sure but also a nude beachin downtown Van! The weather was great , he had to leave and I camped on the beach for 2 weeks.
    In the mountains of B.C. I came upon another broken bike. Another Gold Wing as it turned out. Two up at 100kph and the drive shaft broke locking the wheel. They did an amazing job of stopping even getting onto the shoulder! Drive shafts for that model were like glass so he actually carried a spare with him! I rode him to get a flatbead truck and we got them fixed up. They took me out on the town and man they were the nicest people.
    I mosied my way back east sometimes doing 50 miles a day.(here is a neat trick...You can take a can of stew or such and with a bungie cord put it below the carbs and heat youself some lunch!) I'd see a stream or lake and throw out a line.
    Anyway I went out to "get my head together" and I decided to become a firefighter which I did, I've still got the bike and she started first try after sitting for 13 years but that is another story.
    "Keep the Rubber Side Down"

Good story. Thanks for sharing.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Great story.. quite an adventure. You should do that trip again now that so much time has past.

I am currently reading "The Canada Chronicles" by Mathew Jackson.. a trip report of a four year hitchhiking trip across Canada. I'd like to do a similar thing.. but on a bike.. finding four years to spare would be difficult though, much easier when you are young and have little responsibility.. or retired.

Comment

Nice story.

Comment

easy rider

welcome hoser....good reading. wish i had the nerve to do it now ! h.g.

Comment

Good story, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Excellent story. If I ever win the lottery I'm heading out to see the counrty by bike. I'll buy a big tour bus and get a driver to follow me

Comment

I've done the trip several times by car/plane/truck, would love to take the bike. Sounds like you made yourself and others some great memories on the trip - well done!

Dan.

Comment

Sounds like fun, enjoy! 8)

Comment

That is amazing!! One hella ride, although I think that riding across the state would be an amazig ride, anyways, I think that would be an incredible experience. Thanks for sharing, giving those of us who are new and without a bike, an empty feeling, like we are missing something. A bike!! And an even more ferocious appetite to find one!!
                    Thanks again!!

Comment

Working...
                    X