A drive to chicago.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A drive to chicago.

This weekend there is a very large paitnball event happening. One of my friends left me an IM and asked that I come visit him at buddy guys legends. 10:30pm we left.... we got there right at 11:30 including gas, and prep time. Yeah.. we were going slow.

The trip home was interesting. On 290, just as I passed under harlem my bike lost a cylinder, and then a seccond. My first thought was that I was out of gas. I was doing 90 when I lost the cylinder, probally 75-80 by the time I tried switching to the reserve tank. I thought "wow, I've only gone 50 miles or so, I must have leak or something..." and I got probally two secconds of three cylinders again, and then back to two... and soon one.. As I pulled off the road. The bike was dead as a doornail. No fuel. There was an accident inbound on 290. There must have been a dozen cops, and two fire trucks along with an ambulance. I was right in front of the court house and there were a few cops in the parking lot there as well.

After checking the vaccum line, and that no fuel was dripping I remembered a post here. and I unscrewed my fuel filler cap. It took some extra cranking, given I needed to fill the float bowls..... But the bike started up, and settled to a wonderfull 1100rpm idle.

the rest of the ride home was uneventfull. But I do think I know what causes my bike to starve of fuel and then take a while to restart it. The time it takes to restart it is time that it took for the pressure to bleed off in the gas tank. :-)

Once again we were back up to 80-100mph for the rest of the trip home. the bike changes things as to how you sence your enviroment. As soon as we crossed under the 355 flyover on 88, the temprature dropped. The air became damp. It was as if as soon as we left downers grove the arbureatumaum caused the weather to change plesantly. I would have never felt that in a car. I liked it.
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

You didn't even mention that the blues band at Buddy Guys' Legends kick some serious butt. BSing about bikes, paintball and life in general while sipping on some cokes accopmanied but good blues music... it was a heck of an evening.

Comment

that I did neglect. :-) The band was a very good band from mississippi. I do not know the name of it offhand but the guy we were meeting was a fan. We spent something like two hours listening to them play and talking. Converstaion mostly concentrated on paintball politics. I have stayed on the outside of it for most of the last year due to some really stupid pattent issues. But those look like they're going away.

Comment

wish I could have been there guys, but NOOO I had to go pay for my wedding LOL

things went semi-uneventful last night...had a few issues with stupid linksys non-uplink switches, and some winvnc bull*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$. But I got to use a bunch of the knowledge that I gained in the MCSE classes so, i felt pretty good.

Sorry to hear you were having problems with your bike greg, *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ will get worked out...now to get that damned luggage rack off the back of mine...ugh.

Comment

luggage rack OFF your bike? Aren't you a week too early for that, what with a weekend run coming up? haha!

Steve 8)

Comment

I'ts butt ugly ;-) but I told him he's keeping it untill after the ride. Skreemer and I have to manage to pack without saddlebags, tankbags or anything else. It looks like I'll be strapping a backpack to my back seat all the way across my rear cowl. And probally riding with a backpack. I'm halfway considdering going with my stock bars for this trip... more relaxing seating position. But damned near imposiable to tuck properly.

Comment

yeah, but I'm not gonna be straping ANYTHING to that damned rack.

I'll be backpacking it. I've ridden with stuff strapped to that luggage rack and I hate it...

Comment

Ok, it's butt ugly ... but is it solid? If it is, take some backpack material (canvas, etc.) and cover it so that it looks decent for the ride. You never know when it might come in handy...

Regards,
                Steve 8)

Comment

the rack.. is in BEAUTIFULL shape. and it's very solid. He just doesn''t like the look. Blender is a very asthetically driven man. :-) It's part of his charm. wow.. the guys I live with....

tomorow we're getting new shoes on the bikes. *grins* this means I'll finally be ready for the ride. We'll be doing skreemers clutch tomorow too.

Comment

hey next time you guys are down my way let me know, i'm only about 15 minutes from b guys, it's a pretty cool place. Nerobro take your gas cap off and disassemble it clean every part of it real good and make sure all the holes are clear of debris. then spay every thing with some wd 40 and put it back together. that should fix you fuel lock problem.

-ryan
                    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                    82 Kat 1000 Project
                    05 CRF450x
                    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Hmm.. somethign to do tomorow while mounting wheels. :-) I didn't realize the gas cap was disassembleable.

Comment

Working...
                      X