Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie Thoughts about a tank Modification?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Thoughts about a tank Modification?

I have been Lurking here for awile. Love the site everyone!

I have a 81 GS750L, I absolutely love it. At this time of year I am starting to look for a winter project to enjoy. I would like to have a longer milage capacity on my bike.
    (My riding buddy has a Harley Softey, Duel Tanks, 300+ Mile capacity.)

My thought is this. I don't want to change the gas tank on my GS. (I like the way it looks & rides stock.) I thought I would build a removeable gas tank extension. My idea is to modify a plastic gas can to fit a small nylon tank bag. I would leave the gas cap off my tank and strap it to the top of my current tank on highway rides. Making my current tank larger temporarily.

My needed help is this - How do I get it to seal to the current tank. I am not sure what to use for a gasket.

I think this may be a crazy idea by the way. The thought of gas leaking all over myself on a road ride is less pleasant than I would like. But I have always had more Guts than Brains!

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Even if just to convince me I am nuts.

Thanks Indynew.

How about another tank in a saddle bag with an electric fuel pump to pump the fuel to your stock tank as you ride. When you start to run out just switch on the electric pump to fill the tank again.

You may be able to drill a hole in another gas cap and then put a fuel line through that from you tank bag.

I think that you will end up with a mess though.

Comment

It's an interesting idea, for sure. My thought is that by the time you're hitting the reserve on the stock tank, you've covered 100-120 miles at least, and are probably due for a stretch. That being that case, that factory luggage rack holds a gas can with a couple bungee cords extremely well.

Comment

check out...

...the Iron Butt association for info on additional fuel tanks.

SV

Comment

What about fat-bob tanks? Seen a guy running around here with them on a CB750, could make it work and would look ok on an "L" .

Just a thought, Greg

Comment

One thing to keep in mind, whatever you try to do, is that the stock gas caps are vented in such a way that there is a certain amount of either pressure or vacuum being maintained. It's not just a simple cap on most tanks.

Sooooo you may have performance problems if you have tubes ported in or out of the tank.

My experience also, is that when the tank runs low your butt will be letting you know ... stopping for a break is almost a given regardless of whether you need fuel.

Enjoy,
            Steve 8)

Comment

What would happen in an accident????

Comment

Hang a gas can with fuel fittings (check with Summit Racing or JEG's catalogue) on the sissy bar & run a hose to a T valve connected to the existing fuel line. simple

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                  Hang a gas can with fuel fittings (check with Summit Racing or JEG's catalogue) on the sissy bar & run a hose to a T valve connected to the existing fuel line. simple
                  Great idea, Lynn. I would probably just put the spare tank on the seat instead of the sissy bar for center of gravity reasons. I would not put it on top of the tank for the same reason. Our GSs tend toward top-heavy anyway. With even a couple of gallons of gas up that high I don't think it would take much lean at a stoplight for it to go over.

I have wrestled with this problem a lot. One easy remedy I have found is to just carry an extra gallon of gas. I have used a store-bought 1 gal plastic can and also a couple of canteens which were easier to stash on the bike. What that enables me to do is run as long as possible on reserve. I can get the max range out of my stock tank because I don't have to worry aobut running empty. There is about 30-35 miles or more of reserve on most GSs. On flat intersate I can make over 200 miles on my 850 without coasting to a stop.
                  Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                  80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Putting a reserve tank ontop of the stock tank probably wouldnt work. First it would make the tank higher and likely to be in the way or you and/or the bars, as well as the danger of an accident (as stated previously), plus gas would settle at the lowest point (the back) and not up by the fill hole.

I think two tanks (for balance) fitted into a set of saddlebags with a small electric pump hooked up to your fuel gauge somehow would be nice, but I like to stop for gas.. good excuse for a soda, stretch, etc..

Comment

see if there is a shop that can form alum. into a biger gas tank.

Comment

I haven't read everything above but you can make a gas tank out of a small muffler or just buy one for a small Honda engine (knock-off Honda engines and parts are also available). New Honda tanks are top notch and available on ebay. You'll need about 12 litres to go an extra 200 km (3 gallons for 120 miles). Jegs also makes fuel cells.

I've even seen a tank that had its sides cut out and replaced with a large steel jerry can that was just in half. I'm sure this would make you walk kind of funny though.

Steve

Comment

8)Hey Iron butt just get a bigger tank. Just my suggestion but that seems

to be the easiest and cheapest solution. 8) No seriously though maybe

you should consider a spare tank. One for the really long trips. Or just

when you ride with your buddy. If that's not too often to be a burden.

Comment

Working...
                          X