Don't try this at home! (or anywhere)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't try this at home! (or anywhere)

Im a relatively new rider, having bought my 850 GL (1980) on the 9th of june this year.

Bike was in pretty good shape for 1500 canadian dollars, with 37000km. A month or so after I had it, I went down, with suprisingly little damage to the bike, even though I probably hit dirt at 50-60 kmph.

Busted the windshield, and front brake reservoir (<--pain in the ass to order in jasper alberta, just got it yesterday!!!) and right front signal was still dangling.

So, enought to say that I kept riding, and without the front brakes have done about 2500 km or so. Bad eh? it gets better.

On a ride to edmonton's suzuki store, The indicator lights, headlights , tach stopped working . still rode ...no biggy b/c my highbeam still worked.

Went to the mechanic, he fixed the shorts, reconnected the dangling signal, and replaced the fuses. everything work again...yay!

My buddy with a Katana was leaving for toronto, so I rode down to Cranbrook B.C. (about 650km away), after having gotten my fuses replaced , and a mechanical check up. Going seperate ways, i drove around town for a bit there, and then noticed that the indicator lights were out.

DAMN! I thought...but whatever, I kept riding back to jasper. Left at about 2:15 pm from Cranbrook, and took a pretty leisurely pace . Arrived in lake louise at about 7 o'clock to fuel up, and proceeded to ride in the cold rain up the icefields parkway. Stopped for fuel halfway to jasper, took a break etc.

As I'm riding back, I notice that the headlight , and high-beam aren't working... uh-oh...

so I pick up the pace a little to about 120, since my back tire was below the 2mm mark, and it was still wet. Come 9 o'clock, I realised that I was still a bit a ways from jasper....so I picked up the pace another few clicks.

Bloody hell, I'm seeing the sunset, and I think I'm still about 45 minutes away. I picked up the pace to about 140-km or so, and as I keep riding have to slow cosiderably, since the icefields isnt exactly a straight road (the elevation of the road changes a few hundred feet along the way as well.)

I now notice that the sun has gone down and it is beginning to get pretty dark, and I havent come to the point where I know its 45 minutes away...

pick it up a bit more...

Now, it is fully dark, I have no electricals (not rear even), and I'm thinking ....got to make it home....got to make it home. Its not really the best place to stop to camp when your nowhere, and near nice cooooool glaciers (with a 0 rated sleeping bag). hypothermia's not my thing.

So, now that its completely dark, and I'm having trouble making out the yellow lines on the road, I pass the 45 min mark....*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$t.

I keep up the speed, being passed once (wtf...he was goin fast!!) and tried not to die . 1 time soemone went to pass someone, and I had to hit the shoulder, most other times , people had their high-beams on, and i couldn't see a thing. That was defenitely the most intense focus...

Suffice to say that was probably the most stupid thing I have ever done. No front brakes, no electricals, and a balding back tire, at night, riding in a national park in the rockies....

maybe I should just stick to munching on paint-chips from now on...perhaps some russian roulette?

I read your post a couple of times before replying.

First off, I guess you're / we're lucky you were able to write it (the post) after the choices you made. Secondly, whoever you took the bike to in Edmonton should never have let you out the door unless you were hauling it, without a functioning front brake.

Sign up for a rider safety course. Don't ride the thing again until it's electrically and mechanically sound. Especially the front brake, most people wouldn't ride around the block without one.

Print your post and keep it somewhere safe. If you keep riding, and I hope you do, pull it out in a few years and read it over - once you've had more experience riding you'll understand how fortunate you were.

Good luck getting it fixed up, and maybe we'll bump into each other - you're only about four hours away from here.

Take care,
    Dan.

Comment

Decending darkness

Had a somewhat similar experience long ago when I was young, stupid & fearlessly broke.
      I was heading across town toward home after night-school when several miles from home my headlight, Hi & low went out.
      As a broke & ignorant student I decided to go for it. I tailgated cars relentlessly until I broke out into the countryside a couple miles from home. It must have been quite the experience for the driver as I hugged his bumper at 45, my loud pipes barking all the way.
      My turnoff approached and I rode by moonlight using my wits & memory of the road to guide me. Thankfully a car running the other way never showed up to blind my night vision.
      Spooky surreal sensation riding by moonlight....but it is possible, I'm the living proof.
      Couldn't possibly do it now as my night vision bites.
      Rick.....

Comment

yahooooo! everything is fixed. cept for the damn valve cover gasket....

o' at the time, the thing most occupying my mind was "oh my god...oh my god,..oh mygod!" I wonder how many times i blinked during that ride...?

silly

Comment

umm.... Yikes.

I'm one of them that won't leave the driveway without front brakes. too damn important on a bike. Them's about 100% of your stopping power....

Comment

Lean forward, to the screen..

*WHACK!*

There go three or four of your nine lives. Don't ever do that again.

Comment

I would avoid pushing your luck ever again. I don't think you have any left... 8O 8O You can use the line "I can't tell you how happy I am to be here" and mean it every time...

Comment

Mopo,

Your so mean!! Just kidding, I dont have the experience that most of the guys here do, but being out in the middle of nowhere, I think I would have done probably the same thing, (creeps me out camping in a strange place especially without some kinda tent) except of course leave home without my front brake. Ouch that was crazy!
                I might have done that 3 years ago, but that is why I didnt start riding then, I was young and dumb, what am I saying I still am, to an extent. Haha.

Comment

Your front brake is actually 60% of your braking power. Absolutely insane to ride anywhere without it. I hate to think what would have happened if you needed to panic stop???
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

well, lucky on that ride , but other times have locked up the back tire for a few secs on the highway (damn mountain sheep!!) even worse.....RV rentals!!

Comment

You lived, so no worries.

You're from Canada, so you're allowed to do as you please.
                      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
                      X