Refinishing flat surfaces.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refinishing flat surfaces.

You know those old, gasket encrusted surfaces?

Well here?s a way to get them nicely clean and even again.

Take a plate of glass because it is very even and flat and attach a piece of 180 to 240 grit wet and dry sandpaper on it with some tape. Make it wet (I use a spray bottle for this) so it won?t get clogged up with pieces of aluminum and not wear out so fast. Now put on the object you want to do and move it over the sand paper in a circular motion.

You will see that 90% of the crud on it will be gone very soon, it?s the last 10% that will take a little longer, don?t forget to spray on some water every now and then.

Now doesn?t that look nice?!?

Together with the stock gasket that goes between them these will never leak again, the cover on the left is a brand new one bit I still redid the surface and there was some height difference to begin with on the gasket surface.

This method works on intake boots, points covers, alternator covers or a breather cover like on my GS1000S and whatever you can think of on your bike that could use a good clean seal.

Now that's a tip!

Thank you Robinjo

Comment

Thanks robinjo! You could also use this to break the glaze on new brake pads (although you'd probably leave the sandpaper dry). Just run the pads over the sandpaper in a figure eight pattern for a short time until you have fresh friction material. Make sure to apply the pressure equally to keep the pad surface level.

Comment

Great tips
        Thanks Guys 8)

Comment

Originally posted by KLACKO
          Thanks robinjo! You could also use this to break the glaze on new brake pads (although you'd probably leave the sandpaper dry). Just run the pads over the sandpaper in a figure eight pattern for a short time until you have fresh friction material. Make sure to apply the pressure equally to keep the pad surface level.
          I am not certain how it is done in the rest of the world, but in Australia when you lay concrete you brush over the top of it with a broom to stop it being slick and slippery when wet , this surface is truly exelent for "de-glazing" brake pads.
          Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink

I am not certain how it is done in the rest of the world, but in Australia when you lay concrete you brush over the top of it with a broom to stop it being slick and slippery when wet , this surface is truly exelent for "de-glazing" brake pads.
            Dink

Well, Dink, Hallowe'en is due next month, and everybody knows the witches ride brooms. Now you have a biker using abrollm!!

This seems like a great idea for spooking the kids on my street. I just can't understand how you get the broom to stay on the pads while you scoot down the street.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
            "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
            Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Dink
              Well Dink, in this part of "the rest of the world", if the concrete is still that wet, then we prefer to pour it instead. Makes the job a lot easier!

(I know, I know....call me a bloody smart-a$$ )
              Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
              "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
              1982 GS1100E
              1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Smart-a$$ :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo
                  Smart-a$$ :roll:

Comment

This also works great if you have a cover that doesn't seal properly because it is warped. Start with a coarser grade sand paper and when it is almost straight switch to the finer grade for the finished surface.
                    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
                    X