Bike is more competent then itself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike is more competent then itself

I know it sounds like an oxymoron, but is true. It was an amazing day to ride to tady so I went out to one of New River Valley's most beautiful roads to ride for about an hour and a half today. On my way back I was coming up a curve that I have been on several time before with no problems but this time it was a little different.

The curve is about a 90-100 degree curve to the right starting up hill with a driveway dipping off severly to the right. The caution speed limit on the curve was 15mph and I was doing maybe 25. The bike was holding the curve amazingly well!! all of a sudden a little hump in the pavement on the right side caught my foot peg!! 8O 8O Pucker factor went through the roof as I grabbed the brake and clutch trying to prevent myself from flying down the driveway head over heels with the bike coming after me!!

Fortunately I got it stopped and upright before she went over on me and needless to say I had to sit on the side of the road to let my heart slow for a moment! No carnage other then a major scuff mark on the peg and my boot and the coranary I was about to have! :roll: So needless to say, the bike was performing much better then it's own equipment could take!

Well at least I know how far I can lean before catching now!

Re: Bike is more competent then itself

Yeah, lean until you see a massive shower of sparks in the rear view mirrors, then ease off a wee tad.

Earl :-)

Originally posted by WesV

Well at least I know how far I can lean before catching now!
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
      Yeah, lean until you see a massive shower of sparks in the rear view mirrors, then ease off a wee tad.

Earl :-)
      Yeah really, cause by then my rubber pegs have ground down to metal!

Comment

I used to grind the ends off my foot pegs, but I cant do that anymore. Theyre so short now, my boot is wider than the footpeg, so I grind down the rub strips on my boots these days. :-) Just ease off on the lean angle when yer feet start getting hot. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by WesV

Yeah really, cause by then my rubber pegs have ground down to metal!

All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

The peg should give way a bit and bend up on it's spring to allow for this. It's normal buddy First time is a shocker but trust me, if you ride on a good lean often enough you'll get so at home there that you will find yourself looking at your pegs, pipes, and engine guards trying to think of ways to move them enough to keep them from dragging

I always make sure my forks are fully extended and set my rear shocks as high as I can to try to get as much ground clearance as possible as I am heavy and push it right back down. Just be careful to keep your bike geometry balanced.

Don't let it scare you, let her lean!

Comment

Working...
          X