Mac Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mac Exhaust

Can anyone tell me anything about Mac Performance exhaust. I have a GS 1100 GL with rotten (RUSTED OUT) exhaust. Are they quality pieces, are they loud, what else do I have to do to my bike, to make them work propperly. I will be greatful for any help and information.
    Greg 8)

I have a MAC Anniversary exhaust on my 1100 and I can't say I like it too much.

Pros:
    -allows you to keep your centre stand
    -allows you to change your oil without removing the exhaust (saves me 30CDN in gaskets each time I change oil)
    -cannister chrome is holding up
    -exhaust spacing from frame and engine is good until you squash it on a speed bump :P

Cons:
    -header coating was gone when I received bike, nothing but rust, solution is to have header ceramic coated when new or remove and paint when desired
    -baffle fell apart on me, solution is to have new baffle removed and join all spot welds
    -baffle is loose in exhaust cannister, no good solution found so far

Steve

Comment

I have the 4 into 2 on my 81 1000L and I find it is a little loud but nothing too offensive. I got mine last year but the chrome on it is not top drawer. I only paid $400 Cdn shipping included. This is a cheap exhaust in price and not the highest quality in fit and finish. I also had to make my own exhaust brackets to hang the mufflers and this was done with sst flat stock that I polished to look like chrome. You only get what you pay for. I am completely satisfied with the exhaust and for the application I would buy another, now on the other hand I would not buy a Mac for my 2001 Katana 750(I got a full sst Hindle last christmas for it ) If you need pics let me know.

Comment

I have a Mac 4-2-1 canister type exhaust. I got it off E-Bay for $89 brand new, it came ceramic coated so the finish is really nice. It's been on my 81 for about 1 1/2 years and the 83 now for only about 1200 miles. The ceramic coating is really durable, I'll always make sure I have a ceramic coated exhaust from now on. I can wipe it down and make it look like brand new again. Performance wise I'm not a good one to ask. As long as the bike runs good and get's decent fuel mileage, I'm happy. It's a lot quieter than the V&H and D&D exhausts I've had on before.

But- (yes, there is always a but and this is a big one) the mounting flanges are made of very soft material and since I am stupid enough to think I can reuse exhaust gaskets at least once, I tend to bend them eaisily trying to seal exhaust leaks. Then they begin to rust. The whole exhaust is beautiful- except the flanges, they are covered in rust. I'm working on figuring a fix of some sort, and if I do, I'll be a very happy Mac owner.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

With the MAC, you won't have to re-jet and you can retain the center stand. They don't sound too great, are cheaply made and don't last. You can coat it, but you can find a used Kerker or other pipe that is a bit better, I'm sure.

Any old set of headers should be coated. I have used Jet-Hot on several sets of pipes, but a local powdercoater has a high temp coating that is smoother, has the same temp specs and is even cheaper! Most powder coaters offer high temp coating, these days.

As another option- You can use any of these pipes for the headers, only. Cut them off and have an interconnecting pipe made so that you can use a modern slip-on of your choice.

Mike

Comment

With my Mac, I can't have a center stand, and the ceramic coating finish is excellent in quality and durability. I did have to rejet- it ended up being simaler to my Vance & Hines jetting.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

i have a mac 4 into 1 on my 550 it's chrome and has held up real well, i really like it and would get it agian if i had too. they also have removeable baffels which let you change the flow, you can buy either a 1.5" competion baffel or a competion 2" baffel, you will have to rejet if you go that route.

i would bet you would have to rejet a little bit or shim you needles a little bit if you keep the stock baffel

-ryan
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
              X