Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When the road gets curvy, what happens to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When the road gets curvy, what happens to you?

I never seem to get enough curves. Even when I specifically ride somewhere to get some, I never feel totally satisfied. I had many moments of bliss, but they never seem to last long enough.

I don't know about you, but I love roads with lots of turns, especially long curves where you can hold the lean angle for a long period of time. Straight aways are a bit of bore after a couple of top speed experiments.

I guess I turn into a bit of pycho when the road gets twisty. I start bringing the revs way up, and use heavy engine braking followed by a double dose of front and rear. I find I use the rear heavily when accompanied by the fronts, as the brakes on these things are pretty pathetic. I love to trail brake in and get back on the gas quickly. It's quite satisfying when you get into the groove and just start flowing and everything is clickin.

What do you folks turn into when the road gets twisty? Carter
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Out in Washington you have no end of curvy roads, but I think the ultimate moto-gasm has to be the Blue Ridge Parkway on a deserted weekday morning. And afternoon.

That's absolutely the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on. Over 400 miles and no lights or stop signs. You still have to keep an eye out for cops, Gold Wings, Hardley-Ablesons, farm machinery, minivans, and other impediments to progress. On the weekends, forget it -- the BRP is a slow-moving zoo.

I believe Nick Diaz lives only a few miles from the BRP's northern end. He's a lucky %$#@!, and he knows it... :twisted:

Adam (AOD) just moved to Asheville, NC, which is the southern end of the BRP and near many of the finest motorcycling roads on the planet. He's playing host to the southeastern US get-together next June.

Here in Indiana, we unfortunately don't have very many curves, except in the southern part of the state. I have to ride for a couple of hours to get to any decent roads.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

You may have already seen these, but just in case, check these sites out:

Both sites are dedicated to Highway 129 in NC. 318 turns in 11 miles! Killboy's photos are incredible, make sure you hit the previous weeks links at the bottom of the page on killboy's site.

Comment

I live within 10 mins of the Blue Ridge Parkway and I can attest to that fact!! Another great twisty ride are the back roads over the mountians of the Shenendoah Valley!! They also provide awesome views at the top!!

Comment

I drove through the Shenendoah Area(Skyline Drive) over last Christmas doing a trip with a buddy from Boston back to Atlanta. Had the map out last night as we plan to go back on bikes sometime next month.

Comment

Mmmm yes curves mmmmm...

Pend Oreille County in WA. Beautiful country. Curves, up and down. Good stuff. In fact, just about all of the area 50 miles either side of WA SR-20 is really good motorcycle territory.

Will definitely go back there! Perhaps next time I will bring some curves with me to have fun on even after the motorcycle goes to sleep!

Comment

This is the road to work and it has plenty of curves.

I start on my side at 6000 ft hit 9000 at the high point and then back down to 7200 at work.

Comment

My commute to work involves three straight roads with heavy traffic......

](*,)

Comment

That's eastern Tejas for ya.

Comment

Mine is Hiway 34/36 through Rocky Mtn National Park. Passes up to 14k feet, aboout 60,000 twists and turns over the length of it, and views that tear you off the bike to stand and stare.

Loveland or Lyons CO to Grand Lake CO... love the ride.

Comment

mdole, yer killin' me...

I've been on that road (and many others in your area) several times, but never with a bike. Always in a stupid car.

I've always wanted to take the high road from Espa?ola to Taos (and back to Espa?ola, and then back to Taos...) on a bike.

There are exactly two decent high-speed sweepers on my 65 mile route to work, but only if I take the slow way. The normal route is all interstate and 4 lane state highway. Indiana sucks.

The first thing I want to do after riding a fantastic section of road is turn around and ride it the other way. Then, if I'm planning to continue, I have to turn around and ride it again. Kind of a three-fer.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I just had an epiphany...

And now all you midwest and east coasters see why the GSR international convention should be in the west!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                          mdole, yer killin' me...

I've been on that road (and many others in your area) several times, but never with a bike. Always in a stupid car.

I've always wanted to take the high road from Espa?ola to Taos (and back to Espa?ola, and then back to Taos...) on a bike.

There are exactly two decent high-speed sweepers on my 65 mile route to work, but only if I take the slow way. The normal route is all interstate and 4 lane state highway. Indiana sucks.

The first thing I want to do after riding a fantastic section of road is turn around and ride it the other way. Then, if I'm planning to continue, I have to turn around and ride it again. Kind of a three-fer.
                          That's a nice ride but it is better if you start in Nambe rather than Espa?ola, go up through Santa Cruz, Truches, and then decide if you want to do the high road or go on to Mora, Angle Fire, and then to Taos.

Comment

Mopolopo,

You've done Mt St. Helens out of Randle haven't you? Some fine turns to Windy Ridge and on down to Cougar. I live up North so I have turn around a go back which is a bonus. Carter
                            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Mmmmmm...Goooood...Mt. St Helens Blast Zone. F.S. #25 from Randle to Windy Ridge (and beyond?).
                              Makes me all twitchy and giddy just thinking about it.
                              Sunrise and Paradise are a nice little bonus, except for the rough Paradise tarmac.

Of course, those Ruby Creek sweepers up on SR20 are mighty fun too (especially on a Blackbird :twisted: 8O 8O)...

Soon, Carter. Soon.
                              I mean it. Honest. No, really. :roll:
                              Ted

Comment

Working...
                              X