Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the forum

Originally posted by fperreault
    This forum is for placing reviews for parts, accessories and service as it relates to your GS motorcyle. Keep your review as factual as possible and please refrrain from personal attacks. Posted articles will be reviewed by the Editors and may be removed at their discretion.

So let's make this a useful addition to the forum! A special pat on the back goes to Hap Call for coming up with this great idea.

--- Frank ---

The views expressed in this forum are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of "The GSResources" or the editors.
    Hap mentioned this on our Texas Hill Country ride with many of us sporting a variety of riding gear, luggage, tires, etc. he thought it would be good to post reviews. This forum is a great idea.

Get your paint lookin' good!

This is actually three product reviews in one because they are all related. On the recent Galena rally I used my Joe Rocket magnetic tank bag for the first time on the GS on a long ride. I have used it several times on the FJR on long trips with no problems, but it caused some minor damage to the GS tank. I think it is because the FJR has a fairing so the wind doesn't move it around at all. The GS has no fairing and despite the fact that we never exceeded the posted speed limits 8O the wind causes it to move around a bit. The damage was mostly scuffs but there were a couple spots where it had left some small dots like pebbled leather. So I spent a couple quality hours in the garage to see what I could do about it.

I started out using 2000 grit sandpaper dipped in water to smooth out the pebbled spots. I sanded very lightly and wiped the surface clean often to be sure I sanded just enough to smooth out the spots. This left the paint scuffed with absolutely no shine in those spots.

Then I used 3M Perfect-It II Fine Cut Rubbing Compound on the sanded spots. This worked wonderfully. I expected to need several applications to get the shine back but after one hand rubbed application the shine was as good as new. I used the 3M Rubbing Compound to easily remove the rest of the scuffs caused by the tank bag. It took a couple applications on some spots but I was very pleased with the results.

The next step was to use Meguiars Scratch X on the whole tank. This is a great product also. It removed any remaining small scratches and swirls and left the paint looking deeper and shinier yet.

The last step was Mother's California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax, another fine product. This really deepened the appeareance of the dark blue paint and enhanced the glitter of the metallic.

The gas tank now looks better than it has in years! After looking at the rest of the body work I know I'll be spending some more quality time in the garage giving it all the same treatment.

Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Joe,you probably know this,but....try putting a couple of rags under the magnets next time you use the bag,that should stop scratches.
      Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougie
        Joe,you probably know this,but....try putting a couple of rags under the magnets next time you use the bag,that should stop scratches.
        I would think the rags would cause it to slide around more. They use a tacky rubber-like material on the bottom to help grip. I have had good luck in the past using clear contact paper, the stuff you use to line kitchen cabinet shelves with. It is pretty durable and has a glue that holds it in place but is easy to remove. I haven't used it with the tank bag yet but I have used it many times with soft saddlebags. I was also thinking of the tacky mesh like material also used to line kitchen cabinet shelves. It is sticky enough that it wouldn't move around and is re-usable.

Thanks,
        Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
          I was also thinking of the tacky mesh like material also used to line kitchen cabinet shelves. It is sticky enough that it wouldn't move around and is re-usable.

Thanks,
          Joe
          Bingo! It is called Grip-It or Grip-Rite or similar names. I get mine at the dollar stores. I have used it under my tank bag for years; mine is non-magnetic so the potential for abrasion is even more. The stuff also works real well on the passenger seat when you are two-up; makes a much more comfortable ride for the passenger, particularly if you don't have a backrest.

Shouldn't this topic be on it own thread?
          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
          80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
            Originally posted by Dougie
            I would think the rags would cause it to slide around more. They use a tacky rubber-like material on the bottom to help grip. I have had good luck in the past using clear contact paper, the stuff you use to line kitchen cabinet shelves with. It is pretty durable and has a glue that holds it in place but is easy to remove. I haven't used it with the tank bag yet but I have used it many times with soft saddlebags. I was also thinking of the tacky mesh like material also used to line kitchen cabinet shelves. It is sticky enough that it wouldn't move around and is re-usable.

Thanks,
            Joe
            The only thing I'd be careful about with the "rubber" mesh is leaving it on the tank too long before removing and reapplying it. I say that because I used it on my leather car seat to prevent the child safety seat from moving ... it worked great, but after months tightly compressed between the restraint and the seat I discovered it had bonded to the leather and would not easily come off ... there were permanent marks in the seat.

Obviously porous leather is a little different from a non-porous painted surface, but the potential still exists for the stuff to damage or adhere to your nice shiny finish...

Regards,
            Steve 8)

Comment

Why are you guys posting all this in Franks announcement sticky thread?

Shouldn't a new topic have been created?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                Why are you guys posting all this in Franks announcement sticky thread?

Shouldn't a new topic have been created?
                Because I'm one of those stupid idiots who owns and rides a black engined GS1100?
                :mrgreen:

Joe
                IBA# 24077
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Working...
                X