In a pinch contact cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a pinch contact cleaner

If you find yourself in need of contact cleaner spray and none is available a great standby is...WD-40. I've used this stuff on scratchy volume controls in radios and just this evening on the horn button on my 550. Don't think it's listed as one of its uses but it works as well as or better than electronic contact cleaner. And to boot some electronic contact cleaners will melt plastic. Not WD-40.

Disclaimer: Just reporting my results yer results yadda yadda.
    I am not affiliated with or associated with WD-40...if I was I'd be much too rich to hang around a computer web site, I could pay somebody to do it for me! 8O

Yeah,it's good stuff.However,if you use it on points (or the auto advance unit) PLEASE let the fumes evaporate properly before putting the cover back on.As I posted elsewhere,knew a bloke who didn't wait,fired the bike up,the fumes ignited and blew the cover off! 8O 8O 8O

Comment

Dougie-
      I would've loved to have seen that. :twisted:

Comment

DON"T USE WD-40 ON CONTACTS

Don't use WD-40 on contacts. It will leave a sticky residue that will attract dust and then become a gummy substance that will not conduct.

If you don't have any contact cleaner, use a bit of alcohol (methanol, isopropyl, whatever you have), and wait for the fumes to evaporate.

Comment

Working...
        X