Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with extra killswitch

I have a 82 GS850G.

I wanted to add an extra killswitch to prevent battery drain / security measure.

I'm trying to figure out a great place to do it and wondered it anyone has does such a thing.

Good idea

That's a good idea.... you want to find a toggle switch rated for at least 35 amps if possible... since the main fuse is 25A a 25A switch would be alright but I like to go a little overkill just in case, since the fuses take a few seconds to blow when they're over their rated draw. Remove all wires from the + terminal of the battery and put on one terminal of the switch, doesn't matter which one. Then put a wire, at least 10AWG, from the other terminal of the switch to the battery. A good location for this switch is the plastic plate the fuse box is mounted on under the left side cover. Just drill a hole and put the switch in. Som washer around the switch barrel might help keep the plastic from cracking. It is important to put the switch as close to the battery as possible, to prevent voltage drop through the wires. Check your local electrical wholesale house, tell them what you're doing and they'll be able to help. High-temp wire might be a good idea too IMO. Good luck!

Comment

I would suggest using a 35 amp relay instead, so you can mount the relay on the battery box, and use a small switch. As for location, if you're trying for security I would mount it on the frame just under a side cover. Out of view, but easily accessed. In all honesty, you could mount it on the handle bars and you would get the same effect, a theif is either going to hop on and hot wire (screw driver the lock) and drive away, or they're going to have a pickup to haul the bike, and an electrical switch won't make any difference. Also, if you're having power drain, something is wrong, the key should shut off everything anyway.

Comment

relay

I thought about a relay as well Luke, but didn't reccomend that for two reasons. Fist is the complexity issue... it's something else to go wrong. The other problem is that the relay would be pulled in whenever the switch was on, causing battery drain just from the electrical consumption to hold the relay in unless the switch was turned off every time the bike was.

Comment

Re: relay

Originally posted by vidalacerado
          The other problem is that the relay would be pulled in whenever the switch was on, causing battery drain just from the electrical consumption to hold the relay in unless the switch was turned off every time the bike was.
          That would depend on what the feed to the switch was, I would probably make the power for the switch come from the ignition switch. That way it still shuts off with the key, or kill switch, but would now have another switch as well.

Comment

You could get a keyed switch and put it on the starter relay. That would keep someone from starting the bike. Wont help with the barrery drain issue. I did it on a Jeep I had. Worked good.

Comment

use a battery disconect.
              you may fine a nother type of switch thats cheeper some were else.

Balkamp Remote Battery Disconnect Switch -- 1 Master Disconnect Switch

Click on image to see enlarged view

FRONT Item#: BK 7354449

Price: $ 49.99
              tax and shipping not included

Disclaimer: The stated price may vary from the in store price and may change at anytime.

Usually ships in 24 hours.

Attributes:
              Attributes: Remote Battery Disconnect Switch
              Manufacturer: 1 Master Disconnect Switch

Comment

Working...
              X