Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

El Cheapo Chinese Digital Caliper Works Great!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

El Cheapo Chinese Digital Caliper Works Great!

I bought an inexpensive digital caliper a few weeks ago, because my old plastic cheapies bought at Sears weren't accurate enough for anything interesting.

For $14.99 at my local cheap tools (HDC) outlet, I figured I couldn't lose.

I was quite pleasantly suprised! They are made of a nice heavy stainless steel, and have proven to be very accurate and reliable. They come with a decent plastic case and even an extra battery.

For the acid test, I pulled out my collection of GS valve shims, and the calipers measured them all very accurately and repeatably (checked against a manual micrometer) down to the last 1/100 mm.

You can get these from many different sources and under various brand names. Harbor Freight and several sellers on eBay have them. They are all probably made by the same manufacturer -- there's one blue button, one yellow button, and one red button (off, zero/on, inch/mm), and they generally list at under $20.

Here's Harbor Freight's product page:
    Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

HF charges quite a lot for shipping, plus an excessive "handling" fee, so I'd look around locally first.

Long-term durability is unknown, but at this price, who cares? Like all digital calipers, you have to keep them clean, but if you return them to the nice included case, they should last quite a while.

All in all, a quick, accurate, and inexpensive way to measure things on your GS in millimeters instead of converting from %$#!#@! inches all the time.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!
Working...
X