Herd Mentality, Part I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Herd Mentality, Part I

I've posted this before. This is the first of a three-part story written by a friend of mine, Rich Rothschild, a Gold Wing rider. Here goes Part I:

Once upon a time there was a little boy named "Herd Mentality" (we'll call him "Herd" from now on because he could always be "heard"... but rarely seen, except in my rear view mirrors).

One day Herd decided he wanted to be cool... so he went to a fancy boutique known as a "Harley Davidson" store. Now, this was no ordinary store, because in addition to selling designer fashions, you could also buy just about any Halloween costume you wanted (as long as it was black or orange), and then of course, there's one more thing... they even had motorcycles for sale. Wow neato!

Now, Herd knew squat about motorcycles. He was frequently heard saying "Specifications shmeshifications... who cares? Performance, who cares? Reliability, who cares?" Because you see, Herd knew diddly, but Herd did know about the two most important elements of motorcycling... MYSTIQUE AND APPEARANCES.

Well. the salesgirl approached, Herd (she was wearing a costume that said, "this bitch didn't fall off") and ask if she could help him. He introduced himself and said said, "Yes, I want to be seen and Herd". She instantly recognized a well informed customer and responded, "You've come to the right place." Competent and sexy, (although a little rough around the edges) she proceeded to outline the process for Herd.

"First, you'll need a costume, uhhhh, I mean, riding gear. Second, we'll get you a Brain-Bucket, uhh, I mean a make-believe helmet that provides minimal protection and maximum image enhancement. Third, we'll take you to "helmet sticker alley" where you can choose from a wide variety of anti-social anti-establishment helmet stickers to complement your black leather costume. Fourth, just to make it official, we'll pick out a "trailer queen", uhhh, ooops, I mean, a motorcycle to complete your transformation to weekend warrior." And finally, after paying $25,000 for a brand new trailer queen, for an extra $500 we'll take off the perfectly functional stock exhaust and install some totally obnoxious pipes that will ensure that you will be both Seen and Heard."

Herd was excited. He was already fantasizing and imagining that he was cruisin down Rt66 with Peter Fonda. The transformation had begun. Herd picked out a leather vest and chaps. The salesgirl advised that for an extra hundred dollars they would allow him to wear an advertisement for Harley-Davidson on his back. Herd's hands shook with nervous excitement as he eagerly laid down his cash. Next, Herd Mentality picked out some helmet stickers that reflected his adroit, experienced and savvy appreciation for his new two-wheeled sport... "I'll take this one and this one," as he pointed to stickers that said, "Does Not Play Well with Others", and, I'd Rather Push my Harley than Ride a Honda." Cool. Too Cool. He eagerly laid down more cash.

Next, the salesgirl lead Herd to the back of the Store where there were a few motorcycles hidden in a corner. They must be good (thought Herd) because they all cost $20,000 or more. Herd noticed some used ones on the floor, 2002 & 2003 models. But they cost almost as much as the new ones. "Why are the used ones so expensive" asked Herd. "Well," beamed the Salesgirl, because H-D has high resale." Herd contemplated her response for a moment, grew bolder, and challenged her, "Oh, I figured they were expensive because they have such low mileage on them. Heck this 2002 model only has 900 miles on the odometer. Didn't the guy ever ride it?" The Salesgirl smiled assuredly and knowingly. She responded, "Of course, but he only lived 1 mile from his favorite watering hole... That's 450 round trips in less than two years. Remember, It's Not How Far You Ride... it's WHAT you ride that counts!" Herd stopped in his tracks... contemplating and savoring the irrefutable wisdon and truth of her proclamation. "Wow, this mystique thing really makes sense." He pondered her answer a few more moments and... realized he was confused by this abstract conundrum.

He refocused on more mundane issues. "Deuce? Dyna-Glide? Dyna Wide Glide? Tour Glide? How do I know which one is right for me?" The salesgirl assured him that he had nothing to worry about... She responded, " they're ALL Right for you... you see, you don't have to worry about things like engines or transmissions... They're all basically the same, they just look different... just pick the one that gives you the best image."

"Wow!", thought Herd, "this really is easy". "But... But.... these look pretty big! Will I be able to handle them? "Absolutely replied the salesgirl. They are big, but they're easy to ride because they only put out 63 horsepower whch is more then enough to cruise 5 miles to the local Burger King or Watering Hole." Besides with the loud pipes, it'll sound like you have twice the horsepower. Just remember to rev it up a lot at the stoplights.

The fever pulsated in Herd's soul as he continued forward in his transformation. "What next?" he asked.

"Well, now its time to get your pipes. Loud Pipes Save Lives". The logic was self-evident... NOISE=SAFETY; SAFETY=NOISE (Of course, safety was the last thing in Herd Mentality's mind when he was picking out his non-DOT brain bucket.")

Well, 3 hours and $23,000 later, Herd was ALL-SET. The salesgirl returned from the rear of the Store. "OKAY... just back your trailer up to the loading dock in the rear and we'll load you FXDAWG on and tie-it down for you!"

Herd complied, and thirty minuted later, he was happliy on his way with his costume, stickers; and mystique safely in tow. "Life is Good", thought Herd, as he tooled down the highway in his SUV.

STAY-TUNED NEXT WEEK FOR A COMPLETELY NEW CHAPTER OF

"HERD MENTALITY". In next week's EXCITING SEQUEL, Herd becomes a HOG MEMBER and visits his first biker bar!

What a bunch of bull*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$.

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo
      What a bunch of ####.
      COME ON ROBBIN
      I have a buell and it is sort of a Harley. I think that the post is mostly true. some exceptions do exist but the group is quite narrow minded. I also think that most rice burners are narrow minded too.
      a person who can only afford a 400 dollar bike can be just as short sighted as some Harley owners. the gold wing crowd has its super jerks also.

We all are a bit narrow minded when it comes to our choice of rides.
      Ill be the first to admit that i like the buell because it sounds Harley and lots of the HOG crowd have already said wow those things are fast. I laugh inside about the fast comments but i like it too.
      When I take my Suzuki to the harley shop, no one even says hi.

I get lots more attention when i ride the Honds cm200t. I guess no one is intimidated by it. 8O

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
        What a bunch of ####.
        COME ON ROBIN
        I have a buell and it is sort of a Harley. I think that the post is mostly true. some exceptions do exist but the group is quite narrow minded. I also think that most rice burners are narrow minded too.
        a person who can only afford a 400 dollar bike can be just as short sighted as some Harley owners. the gold wing crowd has its super jerks also.

We all are a bit narrow minded when it comes to our choice of rides.
        Ill be the first to admit that i like the buell because it sounds Harley and lots of the HOG crowd have already said wow those things are fast. I laugh inside about the fast comments but i like it too.
        When I take my Suzuki to the harley shop, no one even says hi.

I get lots more attention when i ride the Honds cm200t. I guess no one is intimidated by it. 8O
        That was not my point, I don't feel "connected" to 95% of Harley riders nor do I even come close to being the guy in the story.

This thing reads like a tale for 4 year olds and I'm clueless about the motive for posting it.

Comment

Its called humor Robin. I think you took it personally.
          It is mostly true and no one said you were like that. It was not implied in any way.

YOU TOUCHY ASS

YOUR GETTING AS SENSATIVE AS DIAZ.

8O Now that is an insult if I ever heard one. 8O

Comment

It may be that things are a bit different here in the states.

In my area (north-central Indiana, about 200 miles south of Milwaukee), it's impossible to get away from Hardleys. If people learn that you ride a motorcycle, they ask "what kind of Hardley do you have?" For 99.9% of the population here (and at least 80% of the riders), the two wheel universe begins and ends at the Hardley-Ableson store.

What Nick has written is a 100% true glimpse at an unfortunate side of American motorcycling. My boss bought a Hardley last year (he turned 50 and got divorced), and this is a very accurate description of him.

Leather vest, fingerless gloves, buttless chaps, do-rag, no training, no helmet, no clue. Won't ride in the rain, because, god forbid, a water spot might mar the delicate Hardley-Ableson approved and copyrighted finish. He spends more on polish and polishing cloth than gasoline. He paddles around at slow speeds. Won't lean into a corner. Of course, his Hardley sports life-saving open pipes. Bought into the Hardley bad attitude instantly.

The scary part is that there are MILLIONS more just like him. They're everywhere! You can't go to a motorcycle event on anything but a Hardley. Well, you can go, but no one will talk to you.

I understand that in other parts of the world, HD motorcycles have their devotees, but the brand isn't the huge cult that it is here.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

It is mostly true and no one said you were like that. It was not implied in any way.

YOU TOUCHY ASS

I did not take it personally, if you would have ever met me in real life you would have known that. period.

But of course several words in this story can be replaced with "new R1/ Fireblade/ GSXR1000/ZX10R" "shiny one piece racing suit" "kneesliders" "replica helmet" if you get what I mean....

This thing reads like a tale for 4 year olds and I'm clueless about the motive for posting it, Nick please explain if you will.

Robin -no I don't own a pair of chaps- Hofstede

Comment

Well again, it i just humor and we must never forget that the Harley crowd are by far the most active motorcycle group any where. We also owe them a lot from that point of view.
                i also think that most of the Harley group are sheep in the way that they follow.but they are still bikers. And i almost never meet one that is not friendly .

Comment

YOU TOUCHY ASS

I did not take it personally, if you would have ever met me in real life you would have known that. period.

But of course several words in this story can be replaced with "new R1/ Fireblade/ GSXR1000/ZX10R" "shiny one piece racing suit" "kneesliders" "replica helmet" if you get what I mean....

This thing reads like a tale for 4 year olds and I'm clueless about the motive for posting it, Nick please explain if you will.

What part of the post cause you to say it was a lot of *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ if you didnt take it personally. And which parts are absoulte falsehoods??

Comment

YOU TOUCHY ASS

What part of the post cause you to say it was a lot of #### if you didnt take it personally. And which parts are absoulte falsehoods??
                    The #### part is the way the story is written, very childish, not my kind of humor. Did I say there were falsehoods? lots of exaggerated stuff though for the sake of humor. Only thing wrong here is that he paid in cash instead of using his gold card I am sorry that I've taken some of your time because you felt the need to reply to my reply.

Comment

Well...

I kind of enjoyed the story, and look forward to pts. 2 and 3. And no, I don't own a Harley, or want to. Now, a Buell, I'd at least like to test ride one. It was funny; I was in Dijon in eastern France, and saw 3 Buells parked together on the street outside a cafe. I talked to the owners, who weren't very impressed with their bikes. My idea of a V-Twin is a Vstrom or an SV.
                      1979 GS 1000

Comment

Agree with jKnapp,

It's written in childish style for the sake of humourous delivery. It's fun, it's taking a stereotype to the absurd extreme. Enjoy it for what it is: Entertainment.

Comment

Bwahahahahaha. :twisted: I think it's funny as hell. Looking forward to reading parts 2 & 3, but I had to respond to this.

Actually, I know several Harley owners, and these guys (and gals) are considered 'ol'rounders'. They put tons of miles on their bikes each year, ride in any kind of weather, are tough as nails, and would give even me the shirt off their backs. (being what they call their 'token power ranger' friend.)

I can't wait to share this with 'em. We constantly rib each other over our choice of rides.

Thanks for the laughs! Very entertaining.

Comment

I tried an explanation on "Parts II and III" thread. Please refer to it.

I am sorry that you were offended by it, robinjo. I'm not sorry, however, that I posted it.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz

I tried an explanation on "Parts II and III" thread. Please refer to it.

I am sorry that you were offended by it, robinjo. I'm not sorry, however, that I posted it.

Nick
                              Thank you for the explanation Nick.

Comment

Working...
                              X